Cochemiea halei

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Cochemiea halei

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi all, I have had this plant over 20 years and it has never flowered. It resides in a large bowl, in full sun and is well watered and fertilized, as per the rest of my plants. I am loathed to repot it, as room is a problem. Any tips please. Thanks.
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Cochemiea halei

Post by Diane »

No tips from me Eric. I also have one about the same age, never flowered. Cochemias are often difficult to flower, you are doing all the right things, so just a question of waiting (and hoping!)
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Sylvia
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Sylvia »

Same here. It will be interesting to hear if anyone has flowered it.
Sylvia in Somerset growing cacti and succulents since 1977
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

The hardest of all the Cochemiea to flower in the UK in my humble experience - I have flowered all the others but not this species.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Thanks ladies, and Tony, nice to know that I am not alone in trying to get this species to flower. Wonder if a spell outside may do the job. LoL As Sylvia has said "wonder if anyone has flowered it" in the UK ? Cheers
pkcactus
Branch: CROYDON

Post by pkcactus »

Sorry that I'm late with a response - hopefully not too late.

I'm doing some research for a presentation to the Mam Soc AGM at RHS Wisley and so came across this topic.

I have seen this plant growing and absolutely smothered in flowers on Isla Magdalena following a boat ride from San Carlos, first in February, then in March in 2008. In February, it was so foggy when we left San Carlos, that El Capitan protested that his GPS could not penetrate the fog. Fortunately ours could! The plants were dripping with water, growing on the sand dunes. In March it was dry, but with a thick layer of low clouds. We were wearing light jumpers and protection from wind and a light shower that broke out just as we had passed the half way point to the island.

So, as day time light hours are lengthening in the UK, you could wake these plants with a daily misting. But be careful - this introduces extra moisture into your greenhouse that may not be appreciated by your other plants from different requirements. Good luck and hope to see you at RHS Wisley on 5 June!
Sylvia
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Sylvia »

Thanks for the info pkcactus, will try it.
Sylvia in Somerset growing cacti and succulents since 1977