Big flowers

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
PhilW
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Re: Big flowers

Post by PhilW »

Yeah I guess I was referring more to echinopsis Hybrids, as i will take your word for it about the echinocereus as I am sure you guys have seen hundreds of then compared odd ones I have lol.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Yes many Echinocerei like a cold winter. My unheated greenhouse goes down below freezing every year and this was my Echinocereus procumbens flowering in the centre bed last year. The flowers are about four inches across for scale.
procumbens-13.jpg
The only problem is weeds have got hold in the centre bed so I am going to have to dig everything up and replant!

Echinocereus berlandieri is a similar stemmed plant but the flowers do not have the white centre of pentalophus/procumbens.
berlandieri.jpg
You may find them mistaken for each other on the Web.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
matchat
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by matchat »

Interesting to see that you grow E. berlandieri unheated Dave. I thought that it needed to be kept warmer than other Echinocereus.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

Okkkk, I'll try to split my e. pentalophus and leave one pot outside 5-7 C area, but still protected from very low temps. If it doesn't flower next year I'll blame DaveW :) And will send the bill for extra hard work I had to put in splitting :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Julie
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

Hehe :)

What lovely flowers. I especially like the "tree" in the very middle of each. I guess that's the girl part?
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Martynjt8
BCSS Member
Branch: COVENTRY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Martynjt8 »

IMG_1772.jpg
IMG_1772.jpg (138.9 KiB) Viewed 2133 times
First year this Echinocereus stramineus flowered for me and I was surprised by its size. Growing in a 14cm pot.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Trichocereus spachianus in bloom this morning.
Trichocereus spachianus flower 12 June 2015.JPG
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

First time I have seen "girl parts" called a tree Julie! :grin: Yes the style and stigma lobes (pistil) are the female part and filaments and anthers (stamens) surrounding it the male.

You could have followed Linnaeus and called them "Husbands and Wives":-

"After reading essays on sexual reproduction in plants by Vaillant and by German botanist Rudolph Jacob Camerarius, Linnaeus had become convinced of the idea that all organisms reproduce sexually. As a result, he expected each plant to possess male and female sexual organs (stamens and pistils), or “husbands and wives,” as he also put it. On this basis, he designed a simple system of distinctive characteristics to classify each plant. The number and position of the stamens, or husbands, determined the class to which it belonged, whereas the number and position of pistils, or wives, determined the order. This “sexual system,” as Linnaeus called it, became extremely popular, though certainly not only because of its practicality but also because of its erotic connotations and its allusions to contemporary gender relations."

On that basis cacti evidently prefer polyandry! :eek:

Do you grow E. berlandieri in much warmer conditions then Matchat?