seek lithiops lesliei Fred's redhead

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
steviewang
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

seek lithiops lesliei Fred's redhead

Post by steviewang »

I just fell in love,when I saw L. lesliei Fred's Redhead for the first time.I'm trying my best to seek some seeds or seedlings.I'm wondering that who has some could sell me.

Please contact me.Thank you very much. :grin:

Stevie Wang
Terry S.

Re: seek lithiops lesliei Fred's redhead

Post by Terry S. »

This is in great demand in the far east. I have been told that young plants can fetch in the region of the equivalent of £100 each or more in Beijing. My experience of raising it from seed (sorry no spares) is that germination has not been as good as might be expected and that there are still about 50% normal plants from the seed that I have had from two different sources. I do not actually find this cultivar very exciting; it is not much redder than found naturally in var. rubrobrunnea. There are far richer reds to be found in L. karasmontana 'Purpur' and 'Axel's Rose'.
Rob
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Rob »

I was surprised at how many people walked past plants of this at Spalding Cactus Mart, where I had them priced at just £1. each!
In view of Terry's comments above I will be reviewing my pricing policy!!!

I got a couple of plants from Vinny Formosa when he was packing up and managed to get one lot of seed before one of them packed its clogs. They germinated quite well and with a good number of 'reds' among them.

I'm really not sure about sending them to China though? Was it the BCSS that I read recently were stopping posting items to China?? Any thoughts folks?
Rob
BCSS member since 1980.
Plant Heritage National Collection of Turbinicarpus.
BCSS Conservation Committee member.
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

The majority of my customers are in China......no problems mostly.

Steve Hammer has been selling them red Lithops for $100's.

Try them on Ebay Rob?
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
steviewang
Registered Guest

Post by steviewang »

Terry S. wrote:This is in great demand in the far east. I have been told that young plants can fetch in the region of the equivalent of £100 each or more in Beijing. My experience of raising it from seed (sorry no spares) is that germination has not been as good as might be expected and that there are still about 50% normal plants from the seed that I have had from two different sources. I do not actually find this cultivar very exciting; it is not much redder than found naturally in var. rubrobrunnea. There are far richer reds to be found in L. karasmontana 'Purpur' and 'Axel's Rose'.
Yes,Terry.The demand is getting greater so quickly.Because of low redder and great damand,the price is also getting richer.As a lithops lover,it's so rich to buy the seeds in China.and could't buy it.So I'd rather to seek seeds from outside of China.

I sowed 20 seeds of L. karasmontana 'Purper'.They all germinated,and only four are not purper.This is so exciting.I didn't find any seeds of 'Axel's Rose'.I will try.

Thanks,Terry.
steviewang
Registered Guest

Post by steviewang »

Rob wrote:I was surprised at how many people walked past plants of this at Spalding Cactus Mart, where I had them priced at just £1. each!
In view of Terry's comments above I will be reviewing my pricing policy!!!

I got a couple of plants from Vinny Formosa when he was packing up and managed to get one lot of seed before one of them packed its clogs. They germinated quite well and with a good number of 'reds' among them.

I'm really not sure about sending them to China though? Was it the BCSS that I read recently were stopping posting items to China?? Any thoughts folks?
Oh,no!I'm so frightened by the price.As my hobby,I just only want 50-100 seeds of L. lesliei 'Fred's Redhead'.The price is killing my hobby.

I know the plants shippment is more risky.So I'm always seeking for seeds.

dear Rob,could you sell me 50-100 seeds of L. lesliei 'Fred's Redhead' in the not mucher price.I will arrpreciate you.Thanks for your kindness.

Stevie Wang
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

steviewang wrote: Oh,no!I'm so frightened by the price.As my hobby,I just only want 50-100 seeds of L. lesliei 'Fred's Redhead'.The price is killing my hobby.
If I can give you some good advice: try to get in contact with other members on forums worldwide. Trade seeds with them, or cuttings. It is a very good way to obtain species you are after and hard to get for you, but to swap plants that are easy for you and easy to obtain for you. Many people around the world have different growing conditions, and different ways of obtaining certain plants. What might be hard for you, is easy elsewhere, and vice versa.

I am sure there are many people out there willing to give you some seeds or seedlings, but I reckon many don't want to sell, only swap (well, I do at least). Try to make use of these principles.
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Post by RICHAUD »

Is this seedling issued from my own seeds of lesliei rubrobrunnea a "fred's redhead" ???
Lithops lesliei rubrobrunnea albinos.jpg
Lithops lesliei rubrobrunnea albinos.jpg (51.98 KiB) Viewed 3822 times
Last edited by Tony R on Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed duplicate picture
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Lithops 'Fred's Redhead' is not from var rubrorunnea so however it might appear it shouldn't be called that. It came from Warrenton Form if I remember right. If it is truly different it could be given a different cultivar name. Even if nobody could tell them apart!

Steven Brack typically sells the most unusual Lithops at around 50c a seed and that is considerably more than I remember from even a couple of years ago. Fred's Redhead is not listed this year. I don't have it either. I agree with Terry that var rubrobrunnea has almost as good as colour (better than many I've seen sold as Fred's Redhead) and a better variety of patterns. I've got var rubribrunnea coming out of my ears! The best red L. lesliei is a hybrid that Steven Hammer developed with var hornii - stunning plant.

I've sold a few Lithops cultivars to China. People offer enough money that it is hard to refuse. Any of the red ones seem to be in huge demand. Postage and customs hasn't been a problem for me yet, but it is always a worry.
Cheshire, UK
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

iann wrote:.......China. People offer enough money that it is hard to refuse.
Market forces. Exactly why SB has raised his prices.

I've had collectors from China and South Korea offering to fly over just to collect an order if they think they can get it faster or choose their own. :???:
iann wrote: Postage and customs hasn't been a problem for me yet, but it is always a worry.
I just tell them they have to accept any risk. It's never been an issue for me as they are more than willing to accept it because they are desperate for the plants.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.