Massonia wittebergensis / Drimia elata summer dormancy?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
graham
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Massonia wittebergensis / Drimia elata summer dormancy?

Post by graham »

Ah...I had forgotten about this...all of my four are up although one is a month later than the others for no reason that I can see, in fact they are potted two to a pot so the late one had exactly the same treatment as its partner in the pot (well within reason). They are with some other summer growing bulbs and in more or less full sun (in a polytunnel) and I would have thought more or less average 'greenhouse' temperatures, I did mismanage one day at least when I was out and came back to find the max reading had been 52 - but in general I try to keep it below 35 and we have had a generally warm summer if not as hot as one or two - a bit more overcast perhaps.

All are still very green; there was a flower on one and I'm not at all sure that there aren't some seed pods, but I won't hurry to find out.

I think that I would wait until the spring to sow; I don't believe that they are short-life seeds. I know that one year I did fail to sow some other Massonia seeds in the autumn and had to wait until the next year and they didn't seem to suffer.

graham