Outdoors in summer

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
admg26
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Outdoors in summer

Post by admg26 »

I keep the "ground cover" type sedums and sempervivum outside all year. They don't seem to the snow. My Crassula setulosa was also covered under an inch of snow for a week and did not care. I am currently experimenting with keeping some Echeverias outside this winter following some info I found here: http://n-s-succulents.co.uk/

If anyone knows a good guide to hardiness in the UK, I am interested. :)
Alison. Mostly interested in succulents. Always like a good Faucaria and outdoor Sedum. Currently gathering plants that could be confused with Pachyphytum oviferum. :)
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

There are two reasons a lot of my plants are outside. One is that quite a few were under the staging not getting enough light, and the other is that sadly my father passed away, and I ended up with his collection too, which would also otherwise be under the staging. They will all be going back into the greenhouse at the end of the summer, to keep them warm enough in winter, of course.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

When talking about scorch, most people think in terms of burnt leaves & stems. But direct sunlight can heat a pot to extreme temps, drying out & killing roots rapidly. This would particularly apply to thin black plastic pots. Embedded in solid ground, roots are not used to much temp variation.

So thick, light-coloured, ceramic pots with more thermal-mass would be better. Better still would be to shade pots behind rocks or other foliage or pots. This is why multiple plants in larger pans and troughs work better outside.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble,
Once a physicist by training
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Can't do it, too near the road so they would be seen and possibly stolen. The greenhouse door is always kept padlocked too as I would be taking a risk leaving it open for ventilation in summer and the plants in full view. I have plenty of roof and side louvre vents though. If you leave your greenhouse open or plants in pots outside your garden really needs to be out of public view from the roads as if not there is always a risk of theft, particularly at night.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

DaveW wrote:Can't do it, too near the road so they would be seen and possibly stolen. The greenhouse door is always kept padlocked too as I would be taking a risk leaving it open for ventilation in summer and the plants in full view. I have plenty of roof and side louvre vents though. If you leave your greenhouse open or plants in pots outside your garden really needs to be out of public view from the roads as if not there is always a risk of theft, particularly at night.
I've put mine in the front for years and never lost one.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

I grow mine outdoors permanently. Summers are never the problem for me - it is the winter!
bank2106.jpg
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
daniel82
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by daniel82 »

No greenhouse so its how I've always kept pretty much all my plants. There are a few windowsills but generally they overwinter in the garage and live outside in spring, summer and autumn. Only two things to watch for, scorch after the winter and too much rain (not usually a problem, but this years been a bit up and down). Don't really have much problem with the scorching either but can be caught out. My ferocactus latispinus flavispinus has a few big brown patches this year, growing out fortunately and a Mammillaria marksiana had a couple of tubercles burnt. Otherwise very few problems.

On a side note, my retired neighbours thoroughly enjoy the displays of flowers. I'm a bit jealous, whilst I'm wasting time at work they get to see them at their best! :wink:
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Magnificent Paul.
IainS
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by IainS »

Derek: I hope you're not going to suggest that we all use white pots, especially with Wimbledon about to begin? :wink: Seriously, you make an excellent point which I will certainly adopt - and I loved the "Once a physicist by training" footnote.

Ralph: Thank you. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your father.

Paul: Ditto. A really good photographic image.

Dave and Mike: I've suffered theft more than once in my life and it's not nice. That said, we've got a number of plants outside the front door.

Daniel: That's good to know, as I'm especially keen to hear about cacti outdoors during the warmer months. In South Africa we've got a reasonable sized Ferocactus latispinus flavispinus which is dong well, as well as Ferocactus latispinus and Ferocactus stainesii. Plus a large multi Ferocactus glaucescens.
"Avoidance doesn't work"
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

Mike/Iain, thanks.

I grow loads of cacti and succulents outside - that is where my interest lays and I go to extreme lengths to grow as many different types as possible (yet trying to keep it looking like a garden, too). In terms of cacti I have dozens of taxa growing outside, from a 4m tall Trichocereus terscheckii to tiny Coryphantha, with my favourites being Soehrensia (pic below is my biggest S. bruchii - covered in flowers this year!) and Denmoza as well as the larger columnars. Not many Ferocacti have proved equal to my garden conditions: a F. wislizenii has been ok for the past two mild but wet years, although I have lost these in the past. I guess it is always a lucky dip with anything so widespread in the wild as to whether you get a moisture tolerant clone or not. I have a potted 40cm diameter F. hystix that lives happily in an open sided porch year round, been ok for the past 6 years or more like that. Encouraged by this I planted a small outside last year that came through winter just fine - but it was mild (but wet). The only Ferocactus that seemed to get a suntan when it went outside was F. haematacanthus - I planted out two of which one survives - both turned bright red the year I planted them the remaining one has kept the colour ever since. As far as in/out plants go I have good sized but potted stainesii and robusta that come out each year and never seem to suffer scorch.

I say this from time to time but if anyone is at all curious about what I get up to here and wants to see which plants are doing ok you are very welcome to visit. Not had any takers yet but maybe someone will be curious enough to come along one day. 20 mins east of M25 J30.
bruchii.jpg
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.