Mammillaria dixanthocentron

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
IainS
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Mammillaria dixanthocentron

Post by IainS »

We recently purchased these two lovely small plants from two different sellers, both of whom are highly knowledgeable.

So, I'm not questioning the fact that they were both correctly labelled as M. dixanthocentron. They know much, much, much more than I do.

I'm also not challenging botanists, even though individual specimens of the same species can look very different to each other when viewed by the greatly admiring but lesser-mortal-than-a-botanist's eye.

The spine colour is different with each of these two young plants, as is the way the spines strut their stuff. How common are such differences in cacti?
M1.gif
M1.gif (252.31 KiB) Viewed 2424 times
[Rene: That's one of your plants behind, flowering it's heart out in praise of you!]
"Avoidance doesn't work"
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Re: Mammillaria dixanthocentron

Post by RICHAUD »

at left it's dixanthocentron
At right I have a doubt : dixanthocentron tonala ? Or muelhenpfordtii ?
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

M. dixanthocentron is one of those species from northern Oaxaca that is really quite variable. Its description shows that I may have 2-4 central spines, they can be pale, almost white, to yellow, to brown. The length of the central spines can vary a lot as well, anything from about 2" long down to really quite short.

So, I wouldn't discount them as both being M. dixanthocentron.

One of the main visual differences between this species and M. muehlenpfortii are the number of radial spines, about 20 on M. dix, and 30-50 on the other, and the other can have more central spines, up to 6. M. dix has often some wiool in the axils, and M. muehl. has a few bristles. Eventually M. muehl. will branch dichotomously, something that M. dix never does. M. muehl also tends to form a flatter broader plant, which shows its affinity to M. geminispina, parkinsonii etc.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
IainS
Registered Guest

Post by IainS »

Many thanks, Richaud and Chris. The plant on the right does look similar to a larger plant we have in the garden at one of the reserves in South Africa, which we'd nicknamed "Mammillaria weedii" because it was so full of weeds when purchased - and you thought that might be M. muehlenpfortii. I guess the flowers will be the telling point. Both are wonderful plants, despite my personal fondness for clumping mammillarias. The plant on the left has actually made Becky cry - and she's a no-nonsense lass - because of its beauty, not because of being caught by its defensive weapons.
"Avoidance doesn't work"
Sylv
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Sylv »

Hi,I know this post is very old but I just came across it.I would love to know the name of the big top plant please with the pink and white flowers?

Sylv.
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

I would guess it's Mammillaria mazatlanensis or one of its forms. Maybe IainS will confirm?
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Diane wrote:I would guess it's Mammillaria mazatlanensis or one of its forms. Maybe IainS will confirm?
Iain hasn't posted here since April - so he may not see this request.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Sylv
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Sylv »

Oh ok,thank you anyway both of you for replying.

Sylv.