Remember these?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
DaveW
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Remember these?

Post by DaveW »

The only true permanent label I ever found, lasting decades after all the plastic labels written on with so called "permanent" markers have long given up the ghost. "Permanent" pens and plastic labels may be good enough for general gardeners who only want labels to last a few seasons, but for growing succulents in greenhouses we want them to last at least 10-15 years. Probably only the more expensive Brother type thermal labels can now match the Hartley's lasting ability.

I have a couple of Hartley aluminium labels written on in ordinary pencil in the early 1960's that are still legible. Plastic labels written with "permanent" markers at the same time are now long gone. What a pity the cheap aluminium Hartley labels are now no longer available since modern aluminium labels are very dear. But no doubt it was the cheaper but inferior plastic labels that killed them off.

http://www.minttheshop.com/2012/08/hart ... al-labels/
Sylv
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Remember these?

Post by Sylv »

Hi Dave.
It's a pitty those aren't still around.I tell you what I use to write on my plastic tags and it is excellent.It is a Staedtler lumocolor permanent garden marker.It is fantastic,it is waterproof and has a high level of lightfast.It is easily illegible for years even in full sun.I swear by mine and recommend them to everyone.They are very cheap aswell,about £2.70 ish.Infact I've had mine for quite some time I might get another.

Sylv.
matchat
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by matchat »

It would be useful if those were still available at affordable prices. I've given up using marker pen and instead only use pencil now. I have labels that are still legible after 8 years in pencil whereas any in pen have long since faded. The plastic is brittle but as long as I'm careful I don't lose any information. The hardest thing is finding labels that have a suitably matt finish to write on in pencil. I was able to buy some from Phillip Barker that are excellent and found the same again for sale at ELK in different colours and thicknesses (I was able to buy some really quite sturdy ones). Compared to previous labels I think that these should survive better.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Yes Sylv a friend also recommended Staedtler permanent lumocolor FINE (or F) black ink. He gets them off EBAY.

I have often thought plastic labels are too shiny to write on Mat and was considering roughening the surface with either emery paper or wet and dry sandpaper so pencil or ink would write and adhere better and I found this on the Web:-

http://www.ehow.com/how_8188041_keep-sh ... astic.html
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Rene G

Post by Rene G »

I guess, quite a few members will know my yellow labels and the writing, so I let them judge how long the last! The labels are of PVC and the writing is in black with a refillable " Rotring" Pen. A little expensive, but well worth it as thr writing does outlasts the labels.

The labels unfortunately are no longer available in the UK, so had to order tehm on the Continent. It just takes a little searching.

It could be wirth Branches clubbing together and order quantities to distribute further!?
Darren S
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Darren S »

I can thoroughly recommend the PVC labels produced by Anglo-Scottish (the stick-in labels, and not the T shaped ones):

http://www.angloscottish.net/horticultu ... s-34-c.asp

But beware of the postage costs.....

The Scottish Rock Garden Club has a member who buys them in bulk and sells them at their shows occasionally, which is where I pick them up. Labels & Things used to sell something similar but have now discontinued them I think.

They have matt finish that takes pencil very well. And they don't snap or go brittle (and I've some over 12 years old in full sun).

That said - I also use a Brother labeller for permanent labels where I have a lot of data to fit on. And I even possess a 1940s vintage 'Serpent' labeller which embosses letters on strips of lead.

All depends on whether I am simply labelling seed pots or 'spares' or if I'm labeling show plants and want something prettier or more legible.

Even the best 'permanent' marker pens seem to fade eventually - and a misdirected pesticide spray can remove the ink as well (personal experience).
Darren nr Lancaster UK. Growing Conophytum, Lobivia, Sulcorebutia, bulbs etc.
matchat
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by matchat »

Hi Darren, I think they are the same labels that I have bought from both Phillip Barker and ELK.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
IainS
Registered Guest

Post by IainS »

We use aluminium labels and - for writing - a Draper diamond engraver. Decades? Easily.
"Avoidance doesn't work"
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

I use laser printer, but I have to wait a few decades to see if they are reliable enough. Will let you know :)

I used to use pencil on plastic labels but that lasted for about 20-25 years 'only'. For hand written labels I use Edding 8404 marker. Does one hell of a (long lasting) job.
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

I use a small Brother label printer for the last three years. I stick the labels on aluminium luxafles window shading pieces I cut to with with a scissors. The labels stay stuck on them very well, and after three years the labels haven't faded and the aluminium label holders are firm (plastic ones turn brittle after a few years in the sun).