Woohoo! Boophone time again!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Dude
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Woohoo! Boophone time again!

Post by Dude »

Thanks for the info Brian.

I will buy a Boophane for my collection when I get the chance.
Rogan
BCSS Member

Post by Rogan »

Wherever I've lived in South Africa, wild Boophone has been close by: the first picture is of Boophone disticha flowering after fire near my former home in Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal; the second is a plant in full growth near my present home in the Western Cape.
Boophone-burnt-s.jpg
Boophone-Rietkuil-s.jpg
Swellendam, Western Cape, South Africa
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Wowhoo! Absolutely stunning. Love habitat photos. It's enormous! Or is camera telling lies again! Wonderful Rogan.
Thanks Brian for your explanation. Yours looks tiny by comparison. Jane
Rogan
BCSS Member

Post by Rogan »

We also have many Crossyne sp. in the hills around here; I have yet to see them in bloom - I have only been living here for three months now and will have to wait for autumn to see them in flower. Their dried seed heads are very similar to those of Boophone as they go tumbling about in the wind and can be found up against fences, sometimes still with germinating seeds attached.
Crossyne-s.jpg
Swellendam, Western Cape, South Africa
BrianMc
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by BrianMc »

Jane O wrote:Wowhoo! Absolutely stunning. Love habitat photos. It's enormous! Or is camera telling lies again! Wonderful Rogan.
Thanks Brian for your explanation. Yours looks tiny by comparison. Jane

I am sure the habitat plants are huge. They can live for quite some time. By way of reference my plant is growing in an 8" pot
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Hi Brian,

Please keep posting photos of your plant. I still think it's lovely. Would love to witness the explosion of seeds. Your avatar is wonderful. If the weather continues horrid - pouring rain here with more forecast, will your plant still continue to flower or may it abort? Hope it likes rain and humidity. Jane
Julie
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

I want one, but don't have the space until the room-by-room replastering is done. sigh!

Please keep posting photos in the meantime Brian. Those habitat pics are awesome.
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
IainS
Registered Guest

Post by IainS »

"Horrid" weather, Jane? Yes, we had 69mm. But the water butts are now all filled to the brim. (We're on a meter and I'm Scottish.) And the garden plants are happy. (Okay, so perhaps the succulents/cacti spending the summer outdoors feel as if they've been water-boarded, with the CIA watching on the sidelines.) In the Karoo (South Africa), we've had a very poor winter rainfall these past three months, so we're facing a likely bad drought over the next seven months, especially with a 90% El Nino event in progress - so you could always divert the "horrid" weather in that direction.

When I first went to Ethiopia in 1984/1985, there'd been three successive years of almost no rainfall - at least not enough to grow any crops. That's what I'd call "horrid". When the lady who ran our humanitarian work in Sudan for many years came to the UK for talks, she was amazed at the green vegetation as we drove out of Heathrow Airport and along the M25.

Joni Mitchell is currently very ill and might never regain consciousness, but she once kindly gave me her personal permission to quote the lyrics of one of her famous songs Big Yellow Taxi, with the great catch line: "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone."
"Avoidance doesn't work"
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Hi Iain,

Me thinks I've just been reprimanded! Hampshire had July's rain in one day and August seems to be doing the same. We have had huge trees down locally. Definitely unseasonal! But guess what 'the sun has put his hat on today'. Will be more careful about calling British weather horrid!
Jane
matchat
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by matchat »

My photography leaves a lot to be desired but here is a very quick grab shot of my Boophone disticha. It came from Ernie about 2 years ago and hasn't yet flowered for me. Tougher than expected, it went down to -1 degrees C when my thermostat failed. This is another plant that I really should water more.
uploadfromtaptalk1439624085917.JPG
Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk