Woohoo! Boophone time again!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
BrianMc
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Woohoo! Boophone time again!

Post by BrianMc »

First sign of activity now clearly seen above the dried leaf remains
First sign of activity now clearly seen above the dried leaf remains
Didn't flower last year. In 2013 it flowered in mid July.
...Day 1
Last edited by BrianMc on Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
JaneO
Registered Guest

Re: Woohoo! Boophone time again!

Post by JaneO »

Can I show complete ignorance and ask what on earth is it? It looks completely dead except for flower growth?
Thanks Jane
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

Hi Jane.
Its a South African Bulb that grows above ground. The dried remains of all previous years leaf bases/bulb scales{?} - Excellent protection against grass fires. . Big fleshy white roots under ground. This one is a Winter grower, but some are Summer growers. What you see is just the start of the flower explosion. See my avatar for the dried seed head.

This is the third time my plant has flowered, so contrary to some opinions, it is not necessary to stimulate the plant by setting it on fire!
:shame: X(
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
IainS
Registered Guest

Post by IainS »

Hi Brian: I love the first sign of them bursting into new growth and I presume you'll keep posting photos of its rapid progress. At Komsberg, we have Brunsvigia josephinae - which I think I'm correct in saying is the world's biggest bulb.

As for fire, there's a lot of nonsense talked (as you've experienced). However, it is important for the germination of some species' seeds which are specifically triggered by smoke from fire.
"Avoidance doesn't work"
CactusFanDan
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER

Post by CactusFanDan »

Beautiful Brian, my baby Boophone surely have at least a decade to go before they'll be flowering sized. The foliage is still very nice on them.
-Dan
Growing an eclectic mix of Cacti, with a few Caudiciforms and other Succulents. Also interested in African bulb plants.
My C&S blog
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

BrianMc wrote:
Boophone_Aug15_01.jpg
I thought (most) Boophane disticha (we are talking about B. disticha, right?) are summer active.
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

Aiko wrote:
BrianMc wrote:
Boophone_Aug15_01.jpg
I thought (most) Boophane disticha (we are talking about B. disticha, right?) are summer active.
Yes it is Boophone distichs. I'm not aware of that fact. I know the distribution for the species straddles winter and summer rainfall areas and I think sometimes plants can go out of season - this happened to my plant once where it kept its leaves all year but then got back on track as a Winter grower, I have another plant which is a definite Summer grower, but I haven't flowered that one yet.

You could say that producing a flower in July is Summer active :lol:
Dude
Registered Guest

Post by Dude »

that's realy cool!

I don't have one myself, but I know of it.

I thought you had to burn it for a bit to make it flower. Maybe you just have a realy good Boopone that flowers all by itself?

It's a very fascfascinating plant. The flowers are beautiful.

since you have one could you please tell me
How poisnonous is the bulb?
How much irritaion does the flower pollen cause?
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

BrianMc wrote: Yes it is Boophone distichs. I'm not aware of that fact. I know the distribution for the species straddles winter and summer rainfall areas and I think sometimes plants can go out of season
Good to know they can be erratic. I recently bought some Boophane seeds from African Bulbs. One already germinated on arrival, so I thought I just try the others as well even though my first instinct said better to wait for next spring. I now have a few little seedlings, which I hope they will have no problem getting through winter tiny and fragile as they are.
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

Dude wrote: How poisnonous is the bulb?
How much irritaion does the flower pollen cause?
Well I'm still here!... But I haven't eaten any part of the plant or rubbed the pollen in my eyes! :lol:
I don't have any allergies or reactions to pollen in general, but perhaps others with these problems may be affected.

As hobbyists we grow quite a number of plants that are poisonous or have toxic sap. Its good to know, but I think in most instances we don't need to panic and are safe growing them as long as we follow normal hygiene and are careful if cutting poisonous plant material
Aiko wrote: Good to know they can be erratic. I recently bought some Boophane seeds from African Bulbs. One already germinated on arrival, so I thought I just try the others as well even though my first instinct said better to wait for next spring. I now have a few little seedlings, which I hope they will have no problem getting through winter tiny and fragile as they are.
You did the right thing sowing straight away. Last time my plant flowered it produced 3 seeds which I was going to save until spring to sow. Luckily I did some research online and discovered that they have short viability. The seeds were planted the same day and all 3 germinated within a week. I would suggest sowing them in longer/deeper pots too as they produce very long fleshy roots fairly quickly even if there seems to be little activity above ground!
I purchased Brunsvigia grandiflora and Ammocharis coranica seed at the start of 2014. These too have very short shelf life and began germinating in the envelope as they were being despatched from South Africa. I managed to get mine into damp soil just in time as a day or two more of dry conditions would have resulted in the root drying up and withering.