Agave talk & pictures

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Agave talk & pictures

Post by Tina »

japan hybrid C1_16.jpg
japan hybrid C 1_16.jpg
japan hybrid 1_16.jpg
Here's a pretty agave that only came labeled as 'japan hybrid', the colour is seriously blue with translucent cream in the centre.
Anyone got an idea for it's identity, I have had it over two years it's quite a slow grower
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
spinesandrosettes
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by spinesandrosettes »

Hi Tina,
If I'm not mistaken, that's also A. salmiana Ferox, but Medio Picta. If have 3. My first has the heaviest MP variegation, and is extremely slow growing (more variegation = slower growing). My other 2 are pups from the below mother plant, pictured a year ago at a nursery here in Northern California really into Agave.
2015 02 07 Peacock Nursery c X700.jpg
2015 02 07 Peacock Nursery c X700.jpg (239.97 KiB) Viewed 2897 times
This is my largest pup from the above plant, only 1/2 MP, and 1/2 Striata, which is growing very quickly, due to less variegation. It's got a pup too now, and looks to be sporting the regular MP of the cultivar.
2016 01 18 A salmiana Ferox MP #3 X650.jpg
2016 01 18 A salmiana Ferox MP #3 X650.jpg (246.63 KiB) Viewed 2897 times
Best Regards,
Tom
chrisupson65
Registered Guest

Post by chrisupson65 »

Here is another agave from my collection should show better colour as it gets more light
Isthmensis Rum runner and it has also got a small offset coming
AX1R9919.jpg
AX1R9919.jpg (79.86 KiB) Viewed 2843 times
chrisupson65
Registered Guest

Post by chrisupson65 »

This is one of my newest Agave's (Agave Puepusorumm mediopicta) which has just started to grow some roots, should grow into a stunner
Attachments
AX1R6363.jpg
AX1R6362.jpg
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

WOW, I want one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grin: .

First time in ages one I haven't got (tu)
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
cactusrogerUK
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by cactusrogerUK »

How I have lost the label for this I cannot fathom, but I have. It is about 12cm across, and I already have two pups separated and planted. Can anyone suggest an ID please? :smile:
Attachments
Unidentified Agave
Unidentified Agave
Unidentified Agave
Unidentified Agave
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

I strongly suspect that this is Agave xylonacantha. I have one. I got it as a cutting and did not pot it up for over a year, then soon after I did it started growing. It is now a very strong plant, not very big but with a lot of offsets. I have to contemplate repotting it at some time and I know it will grow some more and produce even more offsets. It is a very handsome plant and tough as old boots, be warned. I really like it.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

It is indeed what is called Agave xylonacantha in the plant trade in Europe, but not 'real' xylonacantha, which is something different.

Here is 'real' Agave xylonacantha in habitat - olive green, very coarse texture, very open rosette, much larger at maturity:

The plant in question has been given the name Agave heteracantha in a paper published jointly by some Dutch agave experts but this seems to have gone largely un-noticed in the wider agave community.

Spines and rosettes - it is a very common mistake amongst USA agave collectors - even some experts - to mis-apply the name Agave salmiana var ferox. Those variegates are forms of Agave salmiana, not Agave salmiana var ferox. Agave salmiana var ferox is a particularly distinct clone of Agave salmiana that was first described from plants in a European collection. The clone persists via the ancient botanical gardens and looks nothing like your plants. The plant below is Agave salmiana var ferox:
ferox.jpg
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

Having done a search on the web and a couple of recent books, I can see that this is Agave heteracantha. It is still a tough plant and I read of one report of it sitting in a pot on a roof in Holland all winter and surviving. I will adjust my label accordingly, again, I get so many wrong labels.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

It is tough, Liz. I grew one outside from just a small plant to flowering over a period of a dozen years.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.