Lumen

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Dude
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Lumen

Post by Dude »

I bought 3 Philips 60W LED bulbs, that's over 2400 lumen.

According to this cacti needs 2000 lumen per square feet.
http://cactiguide.com/article/?article=article17.php

Considering my collection is quite small, these new bulbs should cover most of my collection anyway.

It's not some fancy plant light I bought just standard LEDs.

Since the weather in Denmark has already begun to become rather grey, I was thinking of moving my plants into a room for themselves with no real natural light, the room is to the west, but have them under the LEDs all day and afternoon. I don't know if it's enough though?
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Re: Lumen

Post by AnTTun »

As our Artificial Lighting Guru (aka Christer) said: its kinda hit & miss thing. Numbers sound right but only practice can confirm that. Or opposite. But you can always add a bulb or two. Good luck and keep us posted.
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Dude
Registered Guest

Post by Dude »

Thanks for posting.

I will keep you posted.
MartinDK
Registered Guest

Post by MartinDK »

"White" LED light? Or a mix of, for instance, red, green and blue light? 3x60w LED bulbs could be enough - or not. The wave lengths are an important factor.

I use 48x3w LED panels with so-called "full-spectrum" light. The light is pretty intense and produce compact growth. I grow very heat- and light-demanding plants.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (85.59 KiB) Viewed 4217 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (83.71 KiB) Viewed 4217 times
Dude
Registered Guest

Post by Dude »

Hi Martin.

Nice setup! Those are some tight plants! Beautiful.

Could you please tell me where those LEDs you have can be bought?
MartinDK
Registered Guest

Post by MartinDK »

Dude wrote:Hi Martin.

Nice setup! Those are some tight plants! Beautiful.

Could you please tell me where those LEDs you have can be bought?
Thank you. :smile: Using this LED unit, you can literally grow plants as compact as you like. But the light is intense and red, and the units are somewhat noisy, so I wouldn't use it in my living room. :wink: You could but you definitely need a grow tent, then.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (124.49 KiB) Viewed 4171 times
I can highly recommend Mars Hydro LED units, https://www.mars-hydro.com/. Chinese stuff but quality products. The units simply produce outstanding results. Their support team is quite helpful and reliable and they ship fast (they ship from warehouses in Germany and the UK). In my experience, you receive your package within 8 days after shipment (last time it took only 5 days).

I use the Mars Hydro Reflector series. Their smallest unit has 48 LED's (100-110 wattage) and costs 800-850 DKR (shipment to Denmark included). My plants are 17 hours under lights. Monthly power consumption per panel is about 50 kWh, about 100 DKR (1 kWh costs about 2 DKR). If you buy a couple of heatmats per tent and heat up the tent to about 30 C, you can grow plants compact and fast. The plant in the first photo is only 16 weeks old. You probably won't be able to grow it faster even in tropical regions. :wink:
MartinDK
Registered Guest

Post by MartinDK »

Apparently Mars Hydro has lowered their prices. The 48x5w units now have Epistar (high quality) 5w LED's and costs only 100 USD including shipment. I should order some more, then... :wink:
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
MartinDK
Registered Guest

Post by MartinDK »

Not quite red, but more red than purple. ;-)
Dude
Registered Guest

Post by Dude »

Thanks for the info Martin.