ELK roll call

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
IainS
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: ELK roll call

Post by IainS »

MaciejW wrote: I was surprised not to see at all some of certain species, like Ancistrocactus or Glandulicactus. Unless I missed them :)
We got a lovely clump of Glandulicactus wrightii. :smile:
"Avoidance doesn't work"
IainS
Registered Guest

Post by IainS »

DaveW wrote: "As to "under the counter plants" I suppose any species that came out of Mexico since their ban on seeds and plants should still be "under the counter", but time in cultivation seems to legitimise everything. Otherwise we would still be keeping quite that all our cars are running on, or aircraft landing and taking off on rubber derived from originally stolen rubber plant seeds which were illegally smuggled out of S. America despite a ban on their export. Now all conservationists, CITES officials and Customs men throughout the world openly run their cars on them!

"It was the greatest act of biopiracy of the 19th century, and maybe in history. In 1876, Henry Wickham emerged from the Amazon jungle with 70,000 stolen rubber seeds. Under absolute secrecy, he tucked the precious cargo in the hold of a steamship and sailed for England. Without even recognizing the ramifications of his theft, Wickham had permanently flipped the fortunes of world trade."

The human race is riddled with dual standards. :grin:

Well said, Dave. If there's one thing I don't like, it's hypocrisy - which holds back the human race from psychologically progressing. That's why in our education work we plan 200 years ahead in some detail, but think it will be thousands of years before there's fundamental change.
"Avoidance doesn't work"
gerald
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by gerald »

DaveW wrote: It's hard to find them in Spain Gerald, particularly on the Costa del Sol where only a few garden centres seem to keep them in spite of the ideal climate for growers. I don't know how true it is, but I was told you have to apply for a licence to be a nurseryman in Spain, therefore unlike our countries people cannot just set up selling plants, the reason why those who do usually keep a low profile.
If so it might be because the authorities want to limit the use of water, something which plant nurseries will use a lot of. If so, you'd have thought they would make C&S nurseries exempt!
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Almost ELK time again!
I will probably be there again on the Saturday.
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

Just a few weeks now, I plan to be there Friday afternoon, and Saturday morning.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
MaciejW
BCSS Member
Branch: HERNE BAY

Post by MaciejW »

This year Friday to Sunday! Looking forward to it already!
Florian
BCSS Member

Post by Florian »

I'll be there on Saturday.

I've some Aloidendron dichotomum (Aloe dichotoma) and Aloidendron pillansii (Aloe pillansii) plants to give away in good hands (first come, first serve). :smile: They are grown from seed and about 40 cm tall. If somebody is interested, please send me a message.

Detlef (alias "Florian")
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Hi Florian,

May I ask you to reserve one of the pillansii plants for me to replace the plant I already have which I hope will be going to a good home soon as it is touching the roof of the greenhouse (12-14 feet). I brought it back from a nursery in South Africa in 1988 as a two years old seedling, it has not flowered.

I will be on the British Cactus & Succulent Society stand just before you go into the cafeteria, down the slope from the reception desk.

Hope to see you.

Suzanne Mace
Florian
BCSS Member

Post by Florian »

topsy wrote:Hi Florian,

May I ask you to reserve one of the pillansii plants for me to replace the plant I already have which I hope will be going to a good home soon as it is touching the roof of the greenhouse (12-14 feet). I brought it back from a nursery in South Africa in 1988 as a two years old seedling, it has not flowered.

I will be on the British Cactus & Succulent Society stand just before you go into the cafeteria, down the slope from the reception desk.

Hope to see you.

Suzanne Mace
Hi Suzanne,

One plant is reserved for you. :smile: I will stop by the BCSS stand.

See you then!

Detlef
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Just two weeks to go!