Killer Cactus?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
spinesandrosettes
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Killer Cactus?

Post by spinesandrosettes »

I have to admit that I find the concept of a "Killer Cactus", featuring some insidious death-trap, creature-killing evolutionary adaptation consisting of hooked spines, worthy of a B grade Sci-Fi script, but not much more than that. Nor would that be a movie I'd personally pay to see. Otherwise, the notion is ludicrous.

Given that it is an evolved adaptation, I would generally agree that it is entirely possible the adaptation has some significance in terms of a survival advantage, other than the typical purpose of general armor to discourage predators.

I do believe that aside from protection, spines do have some sheltering effect against the sun's rays. I wouldn't know if spines that are bent at the end would be more efficient in such a purpose.

What I do know, is what I found doing a quick search, and then reading about the "fishhook cactus", whereby: "seeds germinate in areas where water movement occurs or in areas where standing water accumulates for some period of time, and during flash floods, the hooked spines allow the plants to be caught on water borne debris and be uprooted and carried to areas where water tends to accumulate." I would expect that if small creatures could be caught and trapped, that that would not be the purpose of the spines, but rather, an unfortunate and "unintended" side-effect. I suppose that hitching a ride on an animal could be an alternate form of transportation, but doesn't make much sense because the ultimate destination would be completely unpredictable and could result in the plant being transported to a place it can't survive anyway. That wouldn't be much of a survival strategy in my opinion. The transport by flash flood on the other hand makes a great deal of sense, with transportation to an alternate location where presumably water would collect or stand for at least some useful period of time.

Unless someone can show evidence that these cacti are actually carnivorous :lol: , I can only scoff at the idea that the purpose of the spines is to actually trap and kill small animals.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

spinesandrosettes wrote: Unless someone can show evidence that these cacti are actually carnivorous :lol: , I can only scoff at the idea that the purpose of the spines is to actually trap and kill small animals.
To kill and to feed on them might not actually be part of the programme of trapping. I know that there are plants with flowers that will lock insects in, only to allow them to go free a day later, completely unharmed. While trapped inside the insects spend their time walking around while pollinating the flower.

This in combination with spines is less likely. But as someone might have already pointed out, a spine of a Mammillaria might catch the odd furry critter, eventually gets detached in a struggle and be brought elsewhere by the critter to eventually be dropped and able to reroot on that location.
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

What a load of speculation! I suspect a more mundane explanation after seeing many succulents in habitat.

Many cacti like Mamm. bocasana are lithophytes and have only a little soil in their rock crack to grow in. Hooked spines will be useful for grabbing leaves and other detritus to rot down against the plant, whilst still fulfilling their functions of providing shade and defence.

Animal interactions will be infrequent and inconsequential.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble,
Harrow Branch
spinesandrosettes
Registered Guest

Post by spinesandrosettes »

Apicra wrote:
Animal interactions will be infrequent and inconsequential.
Exactly.