Who gets your plants when you die?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Rene G
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Re: Who gets your plants when you die?

Post by Rene G »

Such a lot of interesting thoughts and ideas have emerged during this thread in just a few days and I am fascinated by all the differend ways members have come up with to deal with a problem we all have to face at some time.

Take my case, - when I had a health problem earlier this year, I had to act quickly. I decided that all my plants had to go to auction before they deteriorated. I was astonished by the interstest, as members arrived from almost all over the country, becouse it was so well organised and advertised be a good friend and his team. So I trust most of my plants went to those who will look after them.

Howevr, I did so miss my plants and now that I feel so much better and well again, - (low and behold) - my 38ft greenhouse is slowly beginning to fill again with new plants. Another problem lurking?!
Hedge
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Hedge »

If I was to go suddenly, my cacti would probably get binned. The orchids would do slightly better but not much. Certain large plants such as my Ferocactus Eric would be kept by my daughter, as it has been here longer than she has. My husband wouldn't want to bin them, but he hasn't the time or the knowledge to dispose of them, and our nearest branch was subsumed into Lincoln. I really should get organised and do a proper database. I don't think I have any rarities and certainly little or no provenance, so nothing very valuable, but then you read articles like the Guardian had the other week about how the plants are becoming extinct in the wild and you start to wonder whether you should re-evaluate. I'd consider donation to an institution, but only if I could endow it - cut backs are such that cacti collections seem to be diminishing.

The orchids could find homes with some friends.

But then, I'm sure Antun isn't alone in being immortal, and I will have tired of them and given them all away by the end of the next decade!!
Heather aka Hedge
.......you can grow a hedge that is vertically straight over ten feet tall (Alan Parsons Project)

Find me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Hedge.59

BCSS47069
IainS
Registered Guest

Post by IainS »

This is a excellent topic.

We went to the two recent auctions of Rene's and John's collections. Bill & team did a superb job. Plants have hopefully found new deserving homes, overall, to be treasured for years to come. (And, as a bonus, I'm delighted to hear that Rene's greenhouse is filling up again - so my prediction of a second/future auction looks likely!)

"Be prepared" is widely appreciated advice, yet nevertheless still underestimated as part of an overall attitude that delivers outstanding performance. I would strongly urge anyone to contact Bill for his services, before it is too late. Avoidance doesn't work.

As for our own plants, they will likely remain in good hands well past my lifetime. Yes, it helps having an amazing younger wife. But we have a team behind us that understand why we have these plants.
"Avoidance doesn't work"
TS Hakansson
BCSS Member

Post by TS Hakansson »

I have not begun to think of my demise yet, but since my health isn´t too good i have started to reduce my collection starting now .Next summer it will be reduced (hopefully) by 60% ,so it will contain just over 1000 plants. In a couple of years it will be down to a few hundreds and then it would be possible for my friends in our small succulent society here in Stockholm to take care of them-or sell them,whatever they prefer doing
Growing mostly globular,smallgrowing cacti north of Stockholm