Who gets your plants when you die?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Nick_G
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Who gets your plants when you die?

Post by Nick_G »

I've left mine in my will to our local BCSS branch. Who gets yours?
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Re: Who gets your plants when you die?

Post by AnTTun »

Good question Nick. OK, not too cheerful topic but unevitable one day. Except for me, I'm immortal :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Lyn
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Lyn »

I often wonder this myself, and what would happen to them, hopefully it will be a very long way off for us all :-) XXXX
Check out my Cacti and Succulent website, where I upload weekly blogs, photos, and videos :-)
http://www.desertplantsofavalon.com/
jfabiao
BCSS Member

Post by jfabiao »

I'm "only" 51 and plan to worry about that much later. :)

Anyway, the plan is to sell whatever's worth something and leave the rest to a local botanical garden. My son has zero interest on cacti (or plants, for that matter) and there are no local associations.
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
Nick_G
BCSS Member

Post by Nick_G »

The trouble is it could happen at any time, maybe tomorrow. I'm only 56 but I've been to a lot of my friends/workmates funerals over the last few years. When we drew up our wills my wife wanted to know what to do with my plants if I should go first, she'll have enough to worry about without the bother of disposing of them. She's keeping one, a Pyrenacantha that we have in our front room, part of the family now.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

I think it's not so much what to do with them since that comes later, but to find somebody who will instantly step in and look after them meanwhile. Usually the family has too much on their plate at the time and the plants get neglected, not watered or the heating is not switched on at the start of winter, therefore by the time their attention returns to the plants they have often been damaged or killed. The local BCSS branch is one custodian you can use, but if not ask another enthusiast in advance to step in for their immediate care and tell the family who it is.

Also your local BCSS Branch will often arrange to auction them off for your family since they will have a better idea of their value than outsiders or selling as a single lot.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Hi All,

It is very sensible to make sure that some arrangements have been made, as you say Nick, your partner does not want the added worry of what to do with a treasured living (hopefully!) collection. A static collection such as a model railway, glass paperweights or Moorcroft ceramics does not require urgent attention. Chances are that the plant collection will need to be disposed of during the worst months of the year, or someone has become ill during the spring, did not want to get rid of their treasures at that point, or the partner decided to retain the collection as it reminded them of their dear departed, and when winter arrives and heating is required for the collection they suddenly realise that it is a burden.

My/our collection is very much a joint collection and should my partner go before me then I will have to get rid of many plants, those which are too big for me to handle, those which are too awkward to handle (Opuntioids), and those which I truly can see no point in hanging onto. Should I go first then I hope he would dispose of all the mesembs according to my wishes, thus freeing up half of a 36 foot greenhouse ++. We each have plants which we would not like to be parted from, but they are not necessarily the same plants.

In some ways it is more of a problem when it is a joint collection, but whatever the circumstances it is important to recognise the best/right time to pass on plants which have been treasured. Too many good plants have been spoiled beyond recovery all for the sake of the deceased's wishes not being made known or written down.

I can hear the Plant Heritage/National Collection aficionados advocating their services, but I am not convinced that is the route to go.

We all like to think we are immortal, but facing the facts, which we should learn from our plants, we are not. There is the hope that passing on our plants at the right/best time may give our plants a better chance of immortality.

Suzanne
Mesemb Study Group
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Assuming I will see my end coming I will sell off / give away most of my plants but keep a few (almost all non-cacti, I think), mainly Pseudolithos, Othonna, Mitrophyllums, Monilaria and some Bulbines. Mostly small stuff.
Last edited by Aiko on Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wilk
Registered Guest

Post by Wilk »

Mine are coming with me, though I have no imminent plans. Tender species inside the coffin and hardy species planted on top. Time Team will have a field day when they dig me up in 300 years time.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

I think that this is a really good subject which I wrestle with from time to time without coming up with any obvious solution.