ID Please

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Dude
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

ID Please

Post by Dude »

I bought 2 new cacti and an Aloe yesterday.

I would be very happy if they could be IDed.

imagehost
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: ID Please

Post by Liz M »

Hi, I would suggest the Aloe is mitriformis and the accompanying pot, four Mammilarias, all the same species. The second picture contains something in the Opuntia family, an expert could tell you which one. I am sure someone here will be able to tell you.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
daniel82
BCSS Member
Branch: CHELMSFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by daniel82 »

I'm not sure about the mammillaria, but try looking at cylindropuntia spinosior for the last picture.
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

The Mamm(s) could be backebergiana ernestii, the darker skinned form of the species. It doesn't easily offset, so I suspect that Liz is right in saying that there probably are 4 plants there, though mass cultivation techniques usually involve quite a lot of growth promoting chemicals, which might have caused untypical offsets.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Dude
Registered Guest

Post by Dude »

Liz M wrote:Hi, I would suggest the Aloe is mitriformis and the accompanying pot, four Mammilarias, all the same species. The second picture contains something in the Opuntia family, an expert could tell you which one. I am sure someone here will be able to tell you.
Thanks for the IDs.

I googled the Aloe and it can become quite big. I'm happy with my purchase even though it will takes years for i to become that big.
Dude
Registered Guest

Post by Dude »

daniel82 wrote:I'm not sure about the mammillaria, but try looking at cylindropuntia spinosior for the last picture.
Thanks for the ID.

That's great!

Cylindropuntia are among my favorites. I have a Cylindropuntia Molesta, so this new one is a welcome addition.
Dude
Registered Guest

Post by Dude »

Chris43 wrote:The Mamm(s) could be backebergiana ernestii, the darker skinned form of the species. It doesn't easily offset, so I suspect that Liz is right in saying that there probably are 4 plants there, though mass cultivation techniques usually involve quite a lot of growth promoting chemicals, which might have caused untypical offsets.
Thanks for the info.

It was an impulse buy. Even though it's 4 plants potted together or growth promoting chemicals, I am happy with my purchase, it's the only Mammilaria in my collection so far.

The only Mammelaria I realy know I want for my collection is Mammelaria Poselgeri.
Dude
Registered Guest

Post by Dude »

Here are some more.

The long vine like cacti have a nametag but the letters are smudged. The first two letetrs appears to be "He".

free upload
Lyn
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Lyn »

Wonderful plants Dude :-) the long vine one is a Heliocereus, and the cereus one on the left could possibly be a Cereus peruvianus, I am not sure what type of Opuntia you have though, but they are all lovely and healthy looking :-)
Check out my Cacti and Succulent website, where I upload weekly blogs, photos, and videos :-)
http://www.desertplantsofavalon.com/
Dude
Registered Guest

Post by Dude »

Thanks for the IDs Lyn.

That's great.