Cactus & Co

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Colin Walker
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Cactus & Co

Post by Colin Walker »

I've been lax in terms of filing a heap of C & S journals. So, about a couple of dozen that have been lying around are now properly in their places.

On checking, though, I find that the latest issue of Cactus & Co I have is Vol. XVIII, No. 3, 2014.

Does anyone here have more recent issues than this?

Before anyone asks, I have definitely paid for 2015. Well, at least my PayPal payment went through OK.

Anyone any inside info on this journal please? Is it generally known to be struggling or what?
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Re: Cactus & Co

Post by Tony R »

2014 No. 3 is the latest you can buy from their website.
http://www.cactus-co.com/index.php/en/p ... gazine2014
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Tony R wrote:2014 No. 3 is the latest you can buy from their website.
http://www.cactus-co.com/index.php/en/p ... gazine2014
Hi Tony,
Thanks for that bit of info. It could of course be a bit dated, since it sometimes takes a while for website info like that to be updated. But at least it doesn't show any more recent issues than the one I have.

Now, why didn't I think to check out their website ? Don't answer that.

So, prompted by Tony, I've now just visited the site and I couldn't see anything that helps with info on recent publication dates, problems, etc., so I'm no wiser.

It does look like the Cactus & Co publication schedule is slipping badly. So far the info is showing that they've published nothing dated 2015. :sad:

I really enjoy this journal, especially for the visual presentation. Sometimes the pics are maybe published a bit on the large size, but hey, does size matter?

Surely other folk here subscribe to this journal and can either support or refute what I've said so far ?

Or does anyone have any insider info please?
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Mal L
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by Mal L »

As an ex-subscriber (got a bit too pricey for me) I cannot add any further info on the availability of recent issues. However, I concur that their publication schedule was becoming rather erratic, and nothing like the predictability, for example, of CactusWorld. A problem I found was that the increasing irregularity, coupled with a lack of positive reminders to re-subscribe for the next year, made it much easier to unintentionally lapse one's subscription without realising until much later - by which time you might have missed an issue (or two). Also, on more than one occasion, copies got lost in the mail system - and, again, the lack of predictability meant that you never really knew whether you were waiting for one, or it was lost, until the website was updated! At the time I tended to blame the postal system in Italy. However, that might have been unfair as (at least for me) the reliability of the UK mail system itself has been very noticeably declining over the last few years, with an increased frequency of lost and/or wrongly delivered mail.
Malcolm
Stockport, UK
Member of Macclesfield & East Cheshire BCSS Branch

Collection mainly of cacti, though interested in a much wider variety of plants than I can accommodate!
Rene G

Post by Rene G »

Many of you may not know how the German Journal performs. It is a mounthly and I am always surprised that my copy arrives every month on the first day of the month even in this country, occasionaly on the last day of the month before it is due. Not bad, is it?
TS Hakansson
BCSS Member

Post by TS Hakansson »

I have recieved issue #1 of 2015, but nothing since.It seems also that Joel Lode has had to much to do with his books and that Cactus Adventures also is slipping way behind Schedule...
Thord
Growing mostly globular,smallgrowing cacti north of Stockholm
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Post by Al Laius »

Hi Colin,

At the end of Vol 18, No. 3 they stated that 2014 had one fewer issue (3 instead of 4) but had 30 extra pages. On the opposite page there was a request to subscribe for 2015.

So far this year I have only received Vol 19, No. 1 which is dated March 2015 but I can't remember when it actually came as I also have a pile of journals and papers awaiting filing.

This issue contains 4 articles:
Jean-Marc Chalet - Ferocactus in Baja California & Sonora
Michael Lange et al - Echinocereus: the species of Orogrande
Gordon Rowley - Tulista and the Partridge breasted Aloe
Desmond & Naureen Cole - Cole C-numbers: problems and queries concerning them

No idea when the next one is due but I'd be surprised if they manage 3 issues this year.

Al
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Post by RICHAUD »

Mr Marvelli wasn't at Monaco Expo Cactus this year were he always make some publicity for Cactus & Co
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Thanks to Alain Sutton, who sent me a link to the 'answer' on the Cactus&Co Forum.
Here is what I got through Google Translate:
cactus-co.jpg
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member

Post by Chris in Leeds »

But it still looks like Colin hasn't received 2015 no 1
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/