Happy Halloween

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Stuart
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRISTOL

Happy Halloween

Post by Stuart »

Dutch halloween.JPG
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: Happy Halloween

Post by Liz M »

OH NOOOOOO!!!!!
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Dutch hibotan.JPG
Dutch hibotan.JPG (85.35 KiB) Viewed 2270 times
There's more!
Lyn
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Lyn »

Oh my goodness, they look so gawdy looking, poor plants, in the next week or two all the Santa Claus ones will be on the shelves in the supermarkets. :-(
Check out my Cacti and Succulent website, where I upload weekly blogs, photos, and videos :-)
http://www.desertplantsofavalon.com/
cornelid
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by cornelid »

These could be the first plants purchased by the next generation of young collectors, thus providing the initial spark that could florish into our addiction. Therfore sustaining our hobby and society long into the future. It's not all that bad if you look at it like that!
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

That's like saying puppy farms are a good idea! Mutilation of anything should be actively discouraged. By buying these plants one is encouraging more to disfigure. The only way forward, IMHO, is to leave well alone. Without funds, more plants cannot be purchased. Jane
cornelid
BCSS Member

Post by cornelid »

Jane O wrote:That's like saying puppy farms are a good idea! Mutilation of anything should be actively discouraged. By buying these plants one is encouraging more to disfigure. The only way forward, IMHO, is to leave well alone. Without funds, more plants cannot be purchased. Jane
Interesting comparison! So given your statement "Mutilation of anything should be actively discouraged" are you actively discouraging grafting?
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Never considered grafting as mutilation! It is a means to encourage rooting when all else fails. Cannot say I am keen on the idea and have certainly never done it personally. I don't grow anything succulent other than on its own root stock. I do grow fruit trees and acers though! My comparison with puppy farming was to target the naive. The thought being that by rescuing one sick puppy one is helping the poor creature. If no one purchased dogs other than from reputable breeders, illegal traders would/could not survive. It is the naivety of the few that encourage such practise - hence the comparison. If my son wanted to pursue succulent growing, I would not encourage him to buy something that has IMHO been defaced to add to its selling appeal!
Jane
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

I spotted a similar looking species at a recent Convention :wink:
stuart.jpg
stuart.jpg (69.52 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Scary!
Cheshire, UK