ladies versus Men  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Rene G
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

ladies versus Men

Post by Rene G »

At a guess, Ladies count for about half of our membership in the Society, although growing Cacti & Suculents is not the first female Hobby that springs to mind. After all how many men would think of embrbroidery or knitting as a hobby.

We all know, that there are quite a few high-ranking lady members in the Society, extremely well versed with their plants, growing fabulous specimen, keen and successful at shows and proficient as speakers. Even strong at Branch Meetings, standing as Chair person, Secretary or Committee member, helping at sales tables and making the tea most of the time.

When recently becoming interested in variegated Succulents and asking for some cuttings to get me going, - guess who put up and sent me some? Only two ladies with some splendid ones! - "Hura for the ladies"! Are men just too proud of their plants and not wanting to share them with others, or just too laid back? (Sorry!).

I wonder what ladies think of us men? And are we pulling our weight in Society matters?
TheEconomist
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: ladies versus Men

Post by TheEconomist »

In my experience growing cactae or succulents is mainly dominated by men as opposed to an equal split. Of course my personal experience may not be representative of the overall community split but I would say about 80% of enthusiasts / growers / collectors I know are men.

Pretty much all of the plants that have been given to me as a gift or spare plants etc came from male members but that's probably linked to the fact that most cactophiles I know are men.

What I would be interested to know (not to hijack the thread or anything) would be to see if there is a difference in the male / female split between succulent and cactus enthusiasts (of course I appreciate that most people grow both, but may still have a preference for one of the two).
David
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

There's certain plants in our hobby that I always think of as 'ladies plants' .
Stuart
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Rene G wrote:I wonder what ladies think of us men?
Keep referring to them as lady members and talking about them as though they're not here and you may well find out. :shock:
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
IainS
Registered Guest

Re: ladies versus Men  Solved

Post by IainS »

I'm keeping quiet on this (rare) occasion - other than to say that I'm happily surrounded by succulent/cacti loving women. :smile:

I'm not at all politically correct, but I intentioned waited until Diane had commented first.
"Avoidance doesn't work"
TS Hakansson
BCSS Member

Post by TS Hakansson »

In our small Group here in Stockholm I would say the split is about 65-35 in male favour, but were are expecting better odds for the female part of the succulent World! (tu)
Growing mostly globular,smallgrowing cacti north of Stockholm
MaciejW
BCSS Member
Branch: HERNE BAY

Post by MaciejW »

It never occurred to me, but I would have to agree with Rene on both accounts - I think our Herne Bay branch has got pretty much 50-50 split. And when I asked for some Adros cuttings at some point year or two ago, only 2 ladies got back to me and sent me some plants! Well done ladies! (tu)
Peter
BCSS Member

Post by Peter »

I'm struggling to understand the point of all this. Perhaps I should cautiously approach Mrs T and demand to know where she carries out all this embroidery and knitting that keeps her out of my greenhouse. I lived in the belief that she spends her time shopping at M & S (she has her own red-carpeted parking place next to the mothers and children places) and glugging Bristol Cream in the afternoons whilst watching Doctors and re-runs of The Sweeney. Perhaps she's been making me a nice warm cardie for the past 40 odd years.

And so far as Stuart's 'ladies plants' are concerned.....well, who knows but Stuart? Maybe he would send me an explanatory PM but I hope that he bears in mind that I do get easily embarrassed.
Lyn
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND

Post by Lyn »

I am the only female at our monthly meetings here in Dublin, Ireland, although some of the male members other halfs come along occasionally LOL! :-)
Check out my Cacti and Succulent website, where I upload weekly blogs, photos, and videos :-)
http://www.desertplantsofavalon.com/