A passion to sow

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: A passion to sow

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

David; You can usually buy it from aquarium supply shops, and some garden centres sell it in larger grit size for top dressing pots etc.
Last edited by RAYWOODBRIDGE on Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
TheEconomist
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER

Post by TheEconomist »

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the info :)
David
gerald
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD

Post by gerald »

Much as the plants are wonderful, and it's great to see them, it's hardly surprising to see Mexican plants being grown well in their native Mexico is it? :smile:

The equivalent is a UK grower showing off some fine specimens of dandelions or the like, would the OP be impressed with that? I doubt it! :smile:
AllanA
BCSS Member
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)

Post by AllanA »

Gerald, you obviously do not have a clue how these plants grow in Mexico, if you compare them to dandelions.
Lifer, wonderful plants and photos, well done.
Allan
Orkney
conophytums,Lithops,Sempervivum, Tylecodons, small cacti. and Haworthias
gerald
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD

Post by gerald »

So you're saying that a grower in Mexico faces the same challenges for growing cacti as you do in Scotland?

You don't think it might be slightly easier perhaps? :wink:
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

gerald wrote:So you're saying that a grower in Mexico faces the same challenges for growing cacti as you do in Scotland?

You don't think it might be slightly easier perhaps?
I'm sure growing Mexican cacti is easier in Mexico than the UK, but these seedlings look very healthy and well grown, and I'm sure are considerably larger than they would be at the same age growing in the wild.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Lifer
Registered Guest

Post by Lifer »

It wasn´t really easy for me growing stuff. Took me months find the red lava, to use in my substrate and have better results, before I bought pumice in USA and aquarium graven in Central México, very hard to find stuff in North Mexico, and only a few grower cactus to find something interesting. In South and Central Mexico have better stuff to use as substrate. The desert soil here have very low quality and very contaminated, unfortunalety, we have so many issues with the trash, for that reason I only use them in cactus who live at this zone. I started on this with the lithops. But the very good thing is the climate, cold winter is good to enhanced the flower production and no more than 25 rain days around the year
Last edited by Lifer on Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lifer
Registered Guest

Post by Lifer »

Epithelantha micromeris, now with 20 months old

Someone have used the opuntia cacanapa as stock? I need one stock who tolerate moderate frost. Im not looking speed growing, im want atural looking and increase the flower production to make more fruits. I had some issues with this one, but it was my fault. I don´t have experience in graft and the opuntia looks a little bit more difficult than others

Echinocactus parryi, 1 and half year old. 6 days old since the graft. Looks attached very well. The more recently graft

The first graft´s. Old photo, for the moment the plant is very soft, but are making new spines now
agavemad
BCSS Member

Post by agavemad »

Your seedlings look very healthy well done.... do you only grow cactus or do you grow other Mexican plants?
Mexico has lots of interesting plants.
Lifer
Registered Guest

Post by Lifer »

I have only a few sudamerican stuff. Not much species looks interesting for me, also more hard to find seeds. Also I have setiechinopsis and pygmaocereus to, I will post photos soon
Attachments
Trichocereus pachanoi, 8 months old
Trichocereus pachanoi, 8 months old
Frailea castanea, 8 months old
Frailea castanea, 8 months old