Aeonium var "SCHWARZKOPF"

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Aeonium var "SCHWARZKOPF"

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi all, I have the above plant about 3ft tall, with three heads about 8 inches diameter. One is about to flower, so I presume this head will die soon after. Is there a chance the other two will follow suit? and if so, should I remove the other heads and re root them sometime. If I do this, what should I do with the remaining stalk ? Thanks
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Re: Aeonium var "SCHWARZKOPF"

Post by Al Laius »

Hi Eric,

See the last CactusWorld journal on page 249 and don't be in too much of a hurry to chop anything off!

Al
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Hi Eric,

I am sorry if I seem to be on a but of a crusade here, but Schwarzkopf was (and probably still is) a brand of hair products. The name for the Aeonium is Zwartkop (Black head). I had this drummed into me by my boss when I worked at a nursery and she was of German origin.

Interestingly I had another hybrid - Aeonium Velour - flower and it produced plantlets from each of the flowers, a quicker way of propagating these plants if they manage to do this.

Regards, Suzanne Mace
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

topsy wrote:I am sorry if I seem to be on a but of a crusade here, but Schwarzkopf was (and probably still is) a brand of hair products. The name for the Aeonium is Zwartkop (Black head). I had this drummed into me by my boss when I worked at a nursery and she was of German origin.
Schwarzkopf is German, Zwartkop is Dutch (or African). I wonder why this switch was made...

Here is is considered to be a synonym, though: http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/AEONIU ... rtkopf.htm
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

This came up before and I am afraid I may have offended a few people back then:

http://www.bcss.org.uk/foruma/viewtopic ... op#p184702

Well, same again, folks! That site is setting itself up as something 'official' but is just nonsense. Worse, it is nonsense that is propagating itself all over the internet.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Yes, the cactus art site really gets my goat. :X
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
eric13
BCSS Member

Post by eric13 »

'Schwarzkopf' on the ICN website... in fact 'Zwartkop' is the "official" name...
spinesandrosettes
Registered Guest

Post by spinesandrosettes »

I had a reply written last night, and then before submitting, decided to let it slide. In the grand scheme of things, it just didn't seem all that important.
Anyway, it comes down to Dutch or German, as pointed out in reply. It also comes down to whether or not the cultivar did or did not originate in Holland, and the subject is under debate. I think the actual correct name can only be absolutely determined if someone has access to information that definitively establishes exactly where the name came from originally. Personally, I could not find it myself on the net.

@ Topsy - I think it's interesting that your mentor who was German insisted on the Dutch name for the plant. In German - schwarz is black, and kopf is head. :wink:
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

I recall the previous discussion as it hijacked my questions as to how to deal with lanky plants. The original plant has now formed a splendid clump and the head that flowered didn't quite die in as much as it provided a few plant lets to add to the already overcrowded greenhouses.
I left the label on my original plant as it was......after all the nurseryman is always right?
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

http://www.crassulaceae.ch/de/artikel?a ... Z&aID=3090 gives details of where the name Aeonium Zwartkop was established in 1959.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia