New batch of seeds sown

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
TheEconomist
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

New batch of seeds sown

Post by TheEconomist »

Hi everyone !

I hope everyone is doing well :)

I was lucky enough to get a grow light (grow light garden by Garland) for Christmass but as it was hectic I only just got around to utilising it today.

I am happy to report that underneath the light I now have a heated propagator with 17 pots where I have sown various seeds (mainly Feros). I realise it may not be the best time of the year for sowing seeds but I wanted to put the grow light to some use :)
Attachments
IMAG0347-1600x905.jpg
David
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Re: New batch of seeds sown

Post by iann »

It is a good time to be starting seeds under lights. Cactus seeds don't want to be in the sun, so no need to wait for summer. Ferocactus are robust seedlings that can go out in the greenhouse this summer with just a little shade. Many smaller species will need a lot more protection in their first 1-2 years.
Cheshire, UK
TheEconomist
BCSS Member

Post by TheEconomist »

Thanks for the info Ian :)
David
TheEconomist
BCSS Member

Post by TheEconomist »

I thought that I would post a little update :)

Out of the 18 pots, 12 now have seedlings.

The first one to come through was Opuntia Basillaris. I'm mostly excited about the Tephrocactus Geometricus (two so far) and Copiapoa Gigantea (one) seedlings so I hope more of these will spring up with time :)

Rather disappointed that none of the Gymnos nor the Lobivia pot are showing any signs of life but I'm guessing they like to take their time like Melos.
Attachments
IMAG0351-1280x724.jpg
David