Tabletop greenhouse

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tawgaw
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Tabletop greenhouse

Post by Tawgaw »

Advice please .... I've been given a small tabletop greenhouse and as I only have five small cacti, I wonder if they would be OK displayed (indoors) in it. The top does open but I wonder if it would be better suited to tropical plants. Many thanks
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: LUTON
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Tabletop greenhouse

Post by iann »

Better for tropicals. A greenhouse can raise the temperature or raise the humidity, or both. Indoors it won't do much for the temperature unless you put a heater in it. It could raise the humidity if there is a source of moisture inside, but that isn't helpful for most succulents.
Cheshire, UK
Tawgaw
BCSS Member

Post by Tawgaw »

thanks Iann, I thought as much ... its a shame as they would've looked good in there. I'd rather keep them alive though!
spinesandrosettes
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by spinesandrosettes »

Sounds like something I purchased as well. It's about a foot wide, maybe 2 feet long, with an A-Frame style top with the hinged top sections opening up from the center outwards. They can be propped open slightly, or opened up all the way. I got the one intending to try it out, thinking I'd get more. Honestly, I think it was one of those things the idea of which seemed much better than the reality. Perhaps it would make a decent seedling sanctuary with a seedling heat mat placed underneath. For the price, not the best buy I've ever made, and I won't be getting more. Looks nice, just not extremely useful.
fruit
BCSS Member

Post by fruit »

Turn it into a propagator with a heatmat?
purzo
BCSS Member
Branch: SCUNTHORPE

Post by purzo »

It sounds ideal for growing carnivorous plants, many of which like higher humidity than C&S do.
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
cacti & other succulents, carnivorous plants
IainS
Registered Guest

Post by IainS »

I wonder if it's this one?

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70186603/

We got one last year. :cool:
"Avoidance doesn't work"
TheEconomist
BCSS Member
Branch: MAIDSTONE & MEDWAY

Post by TheEconomist »

Another thing is light, others may have a different experience but personally I struggle to grow cactae well in places other than windowsills (house wise) and even some of those don't get enough light. Therefore if it would be placed on a tabletop deeper into the house, unless you have an artificial source of light throughout the day than they probably wouldn't get enought light.
David
spinesandrosettes
Registered Guest

Post by spinesandrosettes »

That's the one, Ian. I bought mine on Ebay, and it looks like I let my guard down when it comes to researching before hand. The one I got was the least expensive at more than twice that price. Ouch! 12 pounds or 17 dollars is about what I think it's really worth, now that I have one. For what I paid, my impression was that they could have been much better made (but that's my fault for not investigating before I bought). Sometimes Ebay has the best prices, and clearly sometimes not. Cheaply made, they look good anyway...it sits in a corner of one of my greenhouse kits housing a couple of variegated aloes, with the top wide open. I can't even get access to it right now, because everything I don't want getting soaked or cold is stuffed inside, to the point I can't even walk in. :grin:

@purzo The idea of growing carnivorous plants in them seems ideal to me too.
Tawgaw
BCSS Member

Post by Tawgaw »

greenhouse.jpg
greenhouse.jpg (53.23 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
this is a photo of the one I have. Hmmmm..... now wondering if I should get into carnivorous plants too!!