Heating/Boiling dilute liquid fertilizer

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ivan
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Heating/Boiling dilute liquid fertilizer

Post by Ivan »

I am planning on using straight turface mvp or diatomite to start seeds this year. They will be started in a baggie. In order to add nutrients I plan on using fertilized water to sterilize the soil and also to re-wet it after microwaving or boiling it. Has anyone tried this? What would be the effect to the fertilizer after it has been microwaved? I would like to leave the baggies closed for some time (not sure how long at this point) so my thought was to give the seedlings some nutrients while they grow in a closed environment.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Heating/Boiling dilute liquid fertilizer

Post by rodsmith »

If the fertiliser is non-organic (one of the many powdered varieties) I would have thought you could microwave the mixture with fertiliser added without any ill effects. For several years I have used coir as the base for my cactus and succulent mixture and have added small amounts of powdered fertiliser which I have microwaved when using it for seedlings. I have observed no ill effects and have raised lots of seedlings this way.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
rosaägget
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by rosaägget »

should be fine. the most sensitive things i can think of in most fertilizers are the phosphates and EDTA, but they start decomposing at much higher temperatures than 100°C.
TheEconomist
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by TheEconomist »

rodsmith wrote:If the fertiliser is non-organic (one of the many powdered varieties) I would have thought you could microwave the mixture with fertiliser added without any ill effects. For several years I have used coir as the base for my cactus and succulent mixture and have added small amounts of powdered fertiliser which I have microwaved when using it for seedlings. I have observed no ill effects and have raised lots of seedlings this way.
Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread but I just found that interesting as I really like growing from seed.

So do you mix a bit of fertiliser in with the soil mix when you prepare it for sowing seeds or do you sprinkle a bit just under the surface later on when filling the pots ? It may seem like a silly question but I'd love to know how you do it.
David
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by FaeLLe »

TheEconomist wrote:
rodsmith wrote:If the fertiliser is non-organic (one of the many powdered varieties) I would have thought you could microwave the mixture with fertiliser added without any ill effects. For several years I have used coir as the base for my cactus and succulent mixture and have added small amounts of powdered fertiliser which I have microwaved when using it for seedlings. I have observed no ill effects and have raised lots of seedlings this way.
Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread but I just found that interesting as I really like growing from seed.

So do you mix a bit of fertiliser in with the soil mix when you prepare it for sowing seeds or do you sprinkle a bit just under the surface later on when filling the pots ? It may seem like a silly question but I'd love to know how you do it.
Bump please as I am interested to get any germination tips too for succulents!
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

TheEconomist wrote:

Sorry I've been so long in responding - we're in temporary accommodation and have been spending days on end looking for a house to buy; hopefully we've now found one and until we complete the purchase I will have more spare time.

When using coir it usually comes in brick-sized blocks and these are often unfertilised. If this is the case, I mix a small amount of powder based cactus fertiliser (there are several available) into the coir once it has been wetted and "plumped up" with a trowel. For a cactus or succulent seed mix I include some of the fertilised coir and lots of sifted grit and seed-grade vermiculite. No other nutrient is needed for several weeks after germination.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.