Matucana growers - help needed

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
JoZoo
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Matucana growers - help needed

Post by JoZoo »

I'm repotting my Matucanas at the moment and noticed this unusual marking at the base. At first I thought that it was rot as it seems softer than the top part of the plant but when I looked at the roots seem look fine. Looking at other Matucana ritteri it looks like this could be a sign of ageing as they have the same shaped marks on the outer layer that has turned brown and hardened off. Is this normal for this plant? Is it some kind of corking?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (62.65 KiB) Viewed 2115 times
Maintain National collections of Copiapoa, Matucana and Turbinicarpus for Chester Zoo
Personal favorites Ferocactus, Astrophytums or anything with a purple or pink colour.
Wilk
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Matucana growers - help needed

Post by Wilk »

Here's my M Ritteri. The plant is obviously healthy so I assume it is natural corking:

RICHAUD
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by RICHAUD »

all the plants of this group of Matucanas are corking :ritteri aurantiaca aureiflora .........
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

I always wondered if this was caused by low temperatures and or high humidity during winter.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch