Some new plants

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
daniel82
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CHELMSFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Some new plants

Post by daniel82 »

Someone from my work asked recently if I could rehome some cacti, apparently their mother in law passed away and these three plants had sat in her conservatory since her husband had died. So I was a little surprised to find that they were in pretty good shape. A bit dehydrated and badly in need of a repot but otherwise pest free and healthy. I am keeping the N. magnificus and the F. latispinus (which I just noticed is growing a bud) but cristates don't really hold too much interest for me so if anyone would like it (it's an austrocylindropuntia err, not sure what species, bit hairy so maybe vestita).

The bowl it's in is 6 inches, You can have that too. I would love to swap it for something nice or if anyone can just reimburse me for postage that's fine. If you happen to be local I could even drop it round. Picture isn't great, (a bit rushed with my kids round my feet) but it's in good shape.
rehome.jpg
rehome.jpg (96.03 KiB) Viewed 1507 times
RICHAUD
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Some new plants

Post by RICHAUD »

Nice variegated magnificus (tu)
I think the Austrocylindropuntia is cylindrica ?
daniel82
BCSS Member

Post by daniel82 »

The magnificus isn't variegated, just neglected! The bowl it's in is 8 inches and the roots were immense, but it was only in peat and I don't think its seen a drop of fertiliser in years. As for the cristate, A. cylindrica looks to be a good match, thank you for that.
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Keith H »

That Magnificus will romp away with a bit of TLC, just make sure you don't over do it you would not want it splitting.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
Greenlarry
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Greenlarry »

Lovely new additions there! N.magnificus, N for Notocactus?
You can take the boy out of the greenhouse, but you can't take the greenhouse out of the boy!
daniel82
BCSS Member

Post by daniel82 »

Greenlarry wrote:Lovely new additions there! N.magnificus, N for Notocactus?

Yes, notocactus. Once it's settled I eventually plan move it to a bigger pot, I'll have to take a shot of it later in the year, see what the difference is.