Aloe ID needed

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
jadegarden
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Aloe ID needed

Post by jadegarden »

First time flower on my aloe so I hope someone can help with ID. Ready to separate the pups now the spike has done its thing. I guess I should have taken a closer photo of the plant.
Aloe sp11 JLee Jan16.JPG
Aloe sp11 JLee Jan16.JPG
JaMaDa 876: growing an assortment of pokey plants in Kingston, Jamaica
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: Aloe ID needed

Post by Herts Mike »

Might be "Snowflake" Jan. I think rauhii is one of the parents.
spinesandrosettes
Registered Guest

Post by spinesandrosettes »

I have one called A. rauhii cv White Fox, and I know "Snowflake" is another named cultivar. Personally, I do not know what the difference is, and can't really tell from pictures.
eduart
Registered Guest

Post by eduart »

Hi,

"Snowflake" is actually a common name of Aloe rauhii. The simple inflorescence of your plant makes me think this is A. rauhii. A closer photo of the plant's body, in good light, please.

Cheers,
Eduart
CSSNZ Auckland Branch

https://carpophyma.page.tl/
jadegarden
BCSS Member

Post by jadegarden »

Thanks for the responses. As requested, a closer photo of the plant's body. It as sunny so I had to shade it for a half decent photo.
Aloe sp11 JLee Feb16.JPG
Aloe sp11 JLee Feb16.JPG (131.62 KiB) Viewed 2462 times
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

This looks very like the Bleck Aloe hybrid 'Lizard Lips'. The cultivar A. rauhii 'Snowflake' has much more white on its leaves.
Diane
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Diane »

I have to disagree Terry, Aloe 'Lizard lips' has a much smaller rosette, is heavily clustering, and has narrow heavily splotched leaves.
This is a single rosette of mine, (from Bill and Yvonne Tree, If I remember correctly):
Aloe 'lizard lips'
Aloe 'lizard lips'
I do think it looks like Aloe 'Snowflake', definitely has A. rauhii as a parent, but there are a few similar hybrids around.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
BrianMc
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by BrianMc »

Unfortunately there has been so much undocumented hybridising of late that I think it is very difficult to give a definitive answer to the question of ID. There is considerable variation of leaf spotting exhibited in plants labeled as A.rauhii. However, as far as I am aware flower colour should be mostly red with the white tips and dark mid stripe. This fleshy pink colour points to it being a hybrid as far as I can see.

I would also rule out 'Lizard Lips' which has much more distinctive markings and is probably a more complicated hybrid than the plant in question. I would plump for A.rauhii hybrid.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
jadegarden
BCSS Member

Post by jadegarden »

Thanks for all the feedback. I am good with at least being able to place it as a hybrid of something - not just an Aloe.

So I will happily label it A. rauhii hybrid.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Here's my Snowflake Jan -