Rimacactus Lauii seedlings

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
pleun
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Rimacactus Lauii seedlings

Post by pleun »

Recently I sowed 10 seeds of Rimacactus lauii and now I have 3 seedlings in a sealbag.
Does anyone have tips for me how to keep them alive.......I sowed them in pure catlitter.
Shall I keep them inside the sealbag ?
Does anyone have seedlings on own roots ?
Greetings Pleun
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Rimacactus Lauii seedlings

Post by iann »

I know one or two people on the forum have grown these, but maybe they are keeping the secret ;) The general rule if you want them to live is to graft them early. I wouldn't keep them in bags for long, since they don't need much of an excuse to rot.
Cheshire, UK
KarlR
BCSS Member

Post by KarlR »

I don't have much experience with them, having only sown the species once, but I would probably not keep them in the bag for too long. If you're able to spray or mist them regularly, I'd probably consider taking them out of the bag within a month. I think that's about as long as I kept mine in a bag, although it's certainly possible they can stay inside one for much longer than that. They are fairly rot prone I think.
Mal H
BCSS Member
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Mal H »

Like you I germinated 3. These were from 10 seeds I obtained from Mats' Succseed and I left these in the bag for ~4 months after germination without problems. I had plans to grow them on their own roots but there was only the report of a rare 'success'. Since it seemed graft or no plant I had a go at what I always wanted to resist, but my Eriosyce obsession required it.

The problem, if you read old threads on here, is that the seedlings are like over-ripe grapes. When you cut them with shaky hands like mine they kind of implode. So after two failed attempts I managed to use the point of a scalpel to pierce and then cut my last seedling at the root neck. I grafted onto Echinopsis and used Christer's tip of superglue and held the seedling down for 5 min with the flat of the blade until the glue set. This worked-ish...... I don't reckon I got the best union between graft/scion because the lauii grows very slowly for now.

Here is a pic:
IMG_1236.JPG
I reckon when much bigger I will be able to bury this and I have seen several plants where the stock is completely obscured so that the lauii is the main show. Fingers crossed.
Good luck.
Wirral (Chester and District branch) - Collection mostly South American cacti.
pleun
Registered Guest

Post by pleun »

Thank you all for your replies. I think I will let them in the sealbag till May and then try to graft two of them on opuntia compressa.
Pleun