Eriosyce esmeraldana FK 436

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
sechjoh
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Eriosyce esmeraldana FK 436

Post by sechjoh »

Did some re-potting today...
Eriosyce esmeraldana FK436-IMG_0776 (Medium).JPG
Eriosyce esmeraldana FK436-IMG_0784 (Medium).JPG
/Christer DPP4, Capture One 10, CombineZM
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: Eriosyce esmeraldana FK 436

Post by juster »

Very nice healthy plants Christer, it's good to be able to enjoy some re-potting.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Always interesting potting on South American cacti, you never know what you will find under the surface of the compost.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Pretty extensive root systems for small plants. They must be happy with the growing conditions.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Most, if not all Thelocephala's produce tuberous roots, at least in habitat. Juan Acosta did some experiments growing some in purely mineral composts more akin to habitat and some in peat based composts and found that those in mineral composts produced less top growth in the same time, but more tuberous storage root underground.Those in peat based composts produced far more above ground growth, but much more fibrous and less tuberous root below ground. Probably why peat based composts are so favoured by Continental cactus nurserymen since unless you are selling potatoes its exuberant top growth that sells to the public, not roots!

A Thelocephala unearthed in Chile:-
root2.jpg
One of my own Thelocephala nuda seedlings with my thumb for scale:-
nuda.jpg
In habitat most seem to grow in granite or quartz derived soils from what I saw.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
sechjoh
Registered Guest

Post by sechjoh »

rodsmith wrote:Pretty extensive root systems for small plants. They must be happy with the growing conditions.
They are about 5½ years old and I am waiting for the first flower :)
sechjoh
Registered Guest

Post by sechjoh »

DaveW wrote:Most, if not all Thelocephala's produce tuberous roots, at least in habitat. Juan Acosta did some experiments growing some in purely mineral composts more akin to habitat and some in peat based composts and found that those in mineral composts produced less top growth in the same time, but more tuberous storage root underground.
I grow all my Eriosyce in almost 100% mineral compost and they grow tight together with others until the pot gives up :lol: