Useful Tips & Tricks

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Useful Tips & Tricks

Post by Tina »

Also I have used PVA glue to stick spines back on, totally non toxic.
Ideal if you are clumsy like me.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

When potting on a plant from a 2" BEF pot to a 2¾" pot, there's very little space to firm the new compost down - ⅜" all round, rather less than the average finger or pen (I often use a marker pen). If the root ball is placed diagonally, i.e. rotated round 45' from the orientation of the previous pot, then there are 4 reasonable sized corners - much easier to firm down the compost whether with finger or some other implement.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Some really good tips on here. Well done guys!
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

I thought the first aid tips for broken plants was amazing. Is there nothing which can not be glued?
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
matchat
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Re: RE: Re: Useful Tips & Tricks

Post by matchat »

Liz M wrote:I thought the first aid tips for broken plants was amazing. Is there nothing which can not be glued?
Agreed, I was surprised by this revelation. I'm glad to see that everyone has gotten on board and contributed some great ideas. Even down to something as simple as Mike T's suggestion of how to pot on. I'd certainly never considered that.

When attending plant sales and auctions I always try to take some crates and packing material. The one thing that I always forget is to take some sellotape or string to secure the packaging and plastic bags to sit the pots in if needed (to stop the soil and top dressing spilling over the car).

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

For packing I make bubble wrap sausages, just fold lengthways & tape, useful when you are packing for shows and reusable.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

I struggled for years to remove dust, dirt and especially cobwebs from plants. Wasted lots of time. Then it dawned on me to use a brush. Sounds stupid I know, and I'm sure lots of ye use one already.

A long soft bristled kitchen hand brush cleans cobwebs off spiny Echinocereus in seconds. Leaving them like new, with zero damage to the brittle spines.
srboisvert
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by srboisvert »

A few tricks I learned from Brum Branchers :

Walter showed me the trick of using a straw to blow water off of top watered plants if you worry about lensing or rot in the growth point.

Derek used coloured plastic stir sticks in pots next to labels to track when he repotted plants. He used a different colour stir stick each year so he could see at a glance which pots needed repotting when.
Stephen Boisvert
Chicago, USA
My Plant Photos on Flickr
matchat
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Re: RE: Re: Useful Tips & Tricks

Post by matchat »

srboisvert wrote:Derek used coloured plastic stir sticks in pots next to labels to track when he repotted plants. He used a different colour stir stick each year so he could see at a glance which pots needed repotting when.
Slightly less obvious when glancing around the greenhouse, I write the month and year of potting on the back of the label. I also write only in pencil now, so that I don't lose any information.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

If travelling with crates of plants, I always pack plenty of old plastic pots. They are very useful to fill up spaces in the crates and stop the plants moving around. The main thing to ensure when travelling with plants, especially ones you want to show, is to make sure they cannot move.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.