Onenote or Evernote

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
habanerocat
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: EDENBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Onenote or Evernote

Post by habanerocat »

Has anybody ever tried to use either of the above to catalog their collection?

Seen both mentioned on the www, but am not familiar with either. How suitable for succulents, difficulty of use etc.

I'm aware of Cactusbase but..............
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Onenote or Evernote

Post by rodsmith »

I use Excel, adapted to my own specification.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Martin
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Vice-Chairman

Post by Martin »

Also given up on databases etc excellent works great
M
Martin
Northern Hampshire
Secretary Oxford Branch
'Thelocactus' National Plant Collection
picnic
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by picnic »

You might find this of interest:

http://www.giuspen.com/cherrytree/

It's an open-source (free) organiser/pim that uses a tree structure to store notes and it handles images too. I use it for lots of projects including my fledgling cactus collection. There are other similar programs (the venerable Treepad for example) but Cherrytree does it for me - you can export to pdf or html too.
fruit
BCSS Member

Post by fruit »

Mm... that looks really interesting, included in debian repos too - but how to start off!
Never having used heirarchical notes before it will be a bit of a learning curve - as well as finding a good method to import from my current spreadsheet.
habanerocat
BCSS Member

Post by habanerocat »

picnic wrote:You might find this of interest:

http://www.giuspen.com/cherrytree/

It's an open-source (free) organiser/pim that uses a tree structure to store notes and it handles images too. I use it for lots of projects including my fledgling cactus collection. There are other similar programs (the venerable Treepad for example) but Cherrytree does it for me - you can export to pdf or html too.
Thanks for that, I haven't heard of it.
I downloaded it there now and had a quick look.

Looks pretty good but I don't see any way of giving each plant a numerical number. If I had two plants with the same name for example. Then being able to list by name or number would be a basic requirement for me.

Would I be correct saying the above?
fruit
BCSS Member

Post by fruit »

I have just imported all mine, each individually as a table extracted from my speadsheet - and I like the look of it so far.
I haven't found any way of autonumbering as yet but I originally named my duplicates as Genus species 01, Genus species 02 etc. so they appear like that as the node name - and it's easy enough to add further fields.

TOC is really useful too.
habanerocat
BCSS Member

Post by habanerocat »

I've loaded up Evernote, Onenote, CherryTree and a couple of others over the last few days and here are my thoughts.

As mentioned above being able to list plants by name and number is a basic requirement for me.

I couldn't find that option on CherryTree at all.

On Onenote it's possible to search tags (Numbers to me). But searching made it tedious. Also the tags were listed on the right of the screen which I didn't like. Onenote is a windows "App" so it has great functionality between all other windows programe, which may be important to some. Unfortunately for listing a collection of cacti it didn't do it for me.

Evernote came out best. It also has tags that are listed on the left of the screen. So quick and easy access to that tag/plant. I found the photo editor easy to use and by all accounts it has the best internet content clipping, but I haven't got into all that yet. Unfortunately though the tags system is global so if you had a collection of DVDs for instance you'd need to keep the tag references different otherwise you'd have DVDs in your plant collection :eek:

Most of the above have mobile access to the notes and content is uploaded autmatically, which is the whole idea of these make-note apps. So my plan would be to say take a photo in the greenhouse, upload that there and then with basic info. Then tidy it up later on the PC. Both Onenote and Evernote both seen well geared up for this. But as said above it looks like Evernote for me.

I'll try post again when I know a bit more and see how it goes. Please feel free to correct any of the above and add further thoughts. Technology is only of use to me if it saves time.
fruit
BCSS Member

Post by fruit »

habanerocat wrote:being able to list plants by name and number is a basic requirement for me.
I couldn't find that option on CherryTree at all.
Still finding my way around it but you can enter a number in a text field or create a sub-node for it or even create a node and link to a plant/another node, probably more ways as well
On Onenote it's possible to search tags
It is with cherrytree too but I'm finding that it doesn't always produce a result, possibly as I'm still working with tables or maybe because it's debian therefore not a current release

I don't have access to the other two anyway :)
fruit
BCSS Member

Post by fruit »

I posted here yesterday but it must have gone to the parallel forum and disappeared.

I found another app, bauble http://bauble.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
Bauble is an application for managing botanical specimen collections. With it you can create a searchable database of plant records.
Probably a bit overkill for a home collection - and I found it difficult to make a start, once over that seems to be good.

Hint:do not start by adding Family, add Genus then start typing in Family box in the same dialogue window, they are already set up