The Seeds are growing!!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cactipod
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTH DEVON
Role within the BCSS: Member

The Seeds are growing!!

Post by Cactipod »

Hello everyone,
This is my first proper attempt at seed growing a few plants.
I noticed this when I got up today... :grin: Its very small, apologies - there is 2 in the first pic and 1 in the second.
I am thrilled to bits!
some lithops seeds
some lithops seeds
and the second tub.
and the second tub.
I am assuming this is a good start? Any tips to keep the progress going?
There is always room for more cacti...
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Re: The Seeds are growing!!

Post by esp »

Well done, exciting times!
Getting the sprouts is often the easy bit..

I assume these are mesembs of some type?
If you want specific advice, let us know the species you are sowing.
Cactipod
Registered Guest

Post by Cactipod »

I have one tub of mixed lithops seeds and some lithops karasmontana in another container.
I also have some ferocactus seeds.(no luck with sprouts in there yet)

Do you have any suggestions on buying seeds and good places to purchase?
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

If the Lithops germinate well and the Ferocactus don't, try to get the Ferocactus pot warmer.

Interesting and reliable Lithops seed is increasingly difficult to find in the UK. A few of the known cactus seed sellers also offer some Lithops. I usually have some, but they've pretty much all gone to China at the moment. There are lots of eBay offers, but so many seem very dubious to me; stolen pictures, weird names, the sort of thing that make me doubt what seeds will actually turn up. In the rest of Europe, Succseed usually has some Lithops, as do most of the big cactus seed sellers, including the East Europeans. If you get friendly with Lithops growers, they are a good source because Lithops easily produce large quantities of seed.

If you really get into Lithops, Mesa Garden in America is about as good a source as you can find, but I hear they are now rapidly stripped each year by the Chinese. No problems with CITES because Lithops aren't listed, but overseas postage seems to have become astronomical.

The Mesemb Study Group has an excellent list each January. It is a bit hit and miss what will be listed, but always something interesting, and convenient since it is UK based. About 100 mesembs, split between Conophytums, Lithops, and "others", usually with some titbits from Steven Hammer that would be impossible to find elsewhere.
Cheshire, UK
rosaägget
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by rosaägget »

iann wrote:If the Lithops germinate well and the Ferocactus don't, try to get the Ferocactus pot warmer.

Interesting and reliable Lithops seed is increasingly difficult to find in the UK. A few of the known cactus seed sellers also offer some Lithops. I usually have some, but they've pretty much all gone to China at the moment. There are lots of eBay offers, but so many seem very dubious to me; stolen pictures, weird names, the sort of thing that make me doubt what seeds will actually turn up. In the rest of Europe, Succseed usually has some Lithops, as do most of the big cactus seed sellers, including the East Europeans. If you get friendly with Lithops growers, they are a good source because Lithops easily produce large quantities of seed.

If you really get into Lithops, Mesa Garden in America is about as good a source as you can find, but I hear they are now rapidly stripped each year by the Chinese. No problems with CITES because Lithops aren't listed, but overseas postage seems to have become astronomical.

The Mesemb Study Group has an excellent list each January. It is a bit hit and miss what will be listed, but always something interesting, and convenient since it is UK based. About 100 mesembs, split between Conophytums, Lithops, and "others", usually with some titbits from Steven Hammer that would be impossible to find elsewhere.
can also recommend conos paradise for a fairly large selection of lithops seed.
Cactipod
Registered Guest

Post by Cactipod »

:grin:
Thank you both for the buying tips!
I have about 10 little "sprouts" now, do you have any advice on ensuring they carry on growing now they have germinated?

I'm really enjoying seed growing now, do most of your collections come from seeds?
anders
Registered Guest

Post by anders »

Cactipod wrote:do most of your collections come from seeds?
Not mine, only about 1/3 are grown from seed (by me).
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Cactipod wrote:I'm really enjoying seed growing now, do most of your collections come from seeds?
About one third of the square meters of plants I have in my 30 square meters greenhouse is self sown. Most of what I have sown are little plants, mesembs, that hardly grow to a bigger pot size than the one they get sown in. Regarding individual pots, about two thirds is self sown. I have been actively sowing since about 1998.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

I've been sowing seed for 50 years and I still get excited when I see them germinate.
Cactipod
Registered Guest

Post by Cactipod »

Haha I am glad to hear I'm not the only one getting excited about my tiny plants :)

Wow unfortunately I can't say any of my plant were grown from seed by me. I shall have to keep my ears open for anyone that has seed available :oops:

What was everyone's first plant they grew from seed for their collection?