pliesiopilos seedlings help!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Josefhoyle
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BROMLEY

pliesiopilos seedlings help!

Post by Josefhoyle »

Good evening!

After receiving my welcome pak in the post my partner and I have been growing a few different types of seeds. So far they have all germinated whig we are really chuffed about! The stapelia were the first to germinated with the aspherical
Type cacti taking a lot longer. I also some pliesiopilos bollusi, pliesiopilos nellii (as I am fascinated by these) and some lapidaria margaretae seeds.

So this is where I need a bit help! Both sets of pliesiopilos seeds germinated very quickly (the earliest seeds say 4 days) and are growing really well. But the stems are growing quite long, and because of the two large succulent leaves, they are falling over! My heated propogator is in a south facing window so they must be receiving enough sunlight to stop them becoming 'leggy'. Seeing as they are a stone I found it strange they would grow a long stem, especially as the lapidaria margaretae are minature versions of living stones.

Everything else seems to be doing well. Is there anything I am doing wrong, or I could do to improve this?!

Many thanks, joe
Terry S.

Re: pliesiopilos seedlings help!

Post by Terry S. »

They shouldn't do this. My suggestion is to remove them from the heated propagator, it is probably the close atmosphere that is doing this. They would probably have germinated OK on a windowsill at this time of year without the aid of a propagator. Beware of the south-facing windowsill as the sun gets more intense - they could burn without a little shade of some sort.
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Re: pliesiopilos seedlings help!

Post by D^L »

Hi Joe,
I think we chatted at the last branch meeting, good to see you on the forum!
I agree with Terry that this sounds like they are struggling. Commonly the view is that cacti grow well in a confinded environment for a long time. I keep mine in for a few months and if you read recent thread about Blossfeldias they can benefit from more than a year in high humidity.
For me, mesembs germinate well in high humidity but like to be out of there quite quickly, into dryer air. They still like quite a lot of water in the soil.
Try taking them out of the propagator and see what happens.
Cheers
David Lambie
Bristol