conophytum seedlings

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
daniel82
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

conophytum seedlings

Post by daniel82 »

I've got a few pots of cono seedlings, they seem to be doing well but this is my first time with these. From what I understand its best to avoid dormancy for at least this year and try to keep them growing. Any particular tips or advice?
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: conophytum seedlings

Post by Diane »

Keep them shaded, and don't let them dry out.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Diane wrote:Keep them shaded, and don't let them dry out.
To be clear: as shaded as you probably would keep any other seedling you have sown this year. It needs to grow, so don't put it in actual shade.

I set the winter active species apart from the rest when autumn has arrived. Then I stop watering the summer active ones, and continue to water the winter active seedlings. Before that time I treath them all the same when watering. I have all the pots of the seedlings in a big crate, which holds about 70 pots. To water the pots, I just put the entire crate in a big container and let the pots take up water from the bottom.
daniel82
BCSS Member

Post by daniel82 »

Thank you both, it's pretty much what I was thinking, just wanted to make sure there wasn't some "trick" to succeeding with these. :grin:
AllanA
BCSS Member
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)

Post by AllanA »

You will find that they start to sheath at some point. When this happens with mine I give them 2 to 3 weeks without water and then start watering again. I sow end of Feb. and keep them growing for 15 months, then keep them dry for 2/3 months during the summer. I sow indoors under lights, after about 8-10 weeks they go on north and east facing window sills, so they get only small amounts of direct sunlight in early morning or late evening. They stay on the window sills for about 4 weeks and then go in the greenhouse, under a bench with fleece hanging down to filter sun. They are placed in the greenhouse so they do not get any sun at all from 11 am to 4 pm. Very slowly they are introduced to a bit more sun, so that they are in full sun about July or August.
That is a generalised synopsis as some grow faster than others and some can take a lot more sun earlier than others,for example, I have a tray of Conophytum hammerii on my East facing window which gets sun from 5 am until 10 am at the moment, When these go in the greenhouse they will get only a little shade midday for a short time only as they will soon be able to stand all day sun. I do have very good ventilation in my greenhouse and this is essential.
You will have to find what suits you best Daniel, good luck with them. If you get a disaster don't forget the saying " If at first you don't succeed, try try again" :smile:
Allan
Orkney
conophytums,Lithops,Sempervivum, Tylecodons, small cacti. and Haworthias
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Depends how big they are and which species. Some of the more robust ones, especially if several months old already, will happily go through a short dormancy. Don't leave them bone dry on the top shelf all summer though! Tiny species just germinating now will need a bit more pampering.
Cheshire, UK
daniel82
BCSS Member

Post by daniel82 »

They germinated about a month or so ago and seem to be okay with my kitchen window sill, it's where I grow on a lot of seedlings after they leave their baggies, gets warm and bright but due to my garage is shaded once the sun really gets up.

I only have a few species, most of my sowing is cacti but I do always sow a few lithops and thought i'd try some cono's (thanks to the bcss seedlist).

I have Conophytum angelicae , C burgeri, C pellucidum, C pellucidum var. terricolor and a couple of others I cant remember right now plus an unidentified one that was from some old mixed seed I was given last year. That one sprouted at the end of the year and is like a small pea now with a little eye on top and spurred me on to try some more.