Yucca endlichiana, will it die?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Yucca endlichiana, will it die?

Post by iann »

D^L wrote:Lovely plant! How old is it, Iann? It seems to be in quite a large pot, is this filled with caudex?
No caudex, but the roots are huge and fleshy and they go deep.
Cheshire, UK
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Aiko wrote:I hope it will be as tough to germinate from seeds too. I sowed seeds of this species almost two months ago. Still no germination, while other Yucca's do (but not as much as a year ago). Starting to get a bit worried...
It did not germinate a year ago. I hope it will this year, when I try to restart the seeds. Ordered some more as a backup from Mesa Garden this year, so I will also give myself the chance with fresher seeds.

Anyone with sowing adice for Yucca endlichiana?
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by D^L »

I've just sown them as any other cactus/succulent seed and had good results - nothing special. All my seed were from Mesa Garden.
Cheers
David Lambie
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

So just sow them like any other Yucca? I have had good results with Yucca from Mesa Garden in the last two years. Unfortunately just not with Y. endlichiana. I will give them a go again later this month, same way as the others to see if it will be succesful this time.
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

I didn't get any seeds from my flowers. Does this species need two plants? Or I just didn't have the right conditions?
Cheshire, UK
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

Yucca usually rely on some outside agency for fertilisation - famously the yucca moth but not exclusively. Unless you intervene it won't happen by itself, generally speaking.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Paul in Essex wrote:Yucca usually rely on some outside agency for fertilisation - famously the yucca moth but not exclusively. Unless you intervene it won't happen by itself, generally speaking.
My mistake. Roll on next time :)
Cheshire, UK
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Aiko wrote:So just sow them like any other Yucca? I have had good results with Yucca from Mesa Garden in the last two years. Unfortunately just not with Y. endlichiana. I will give them a go again later this month, same way as the others to see if it will be succesful this time.
I failed again. No germination, and again quite an early white fungus development on the seeds (I sterilise the soil very well), just like last time. Strange this does not happen with other Yucca sowings.
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

Aiko, I get various kinds of white fungus in my sowing pots. Now I check pots on daily basis after sowing and spray with fungicide as soon as I spot it. It usually stops developing after 3-5-7 days. Of course, there is slight problem if the seeds are deep(er) under the surface. In that case I cross my thumbs and say a prayer (not proven as successfull method yet, but lets give it some more time :) ).
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

To avoid fungi
(1) use purely mineral soil
(2) use Chinosol
(3) let the propagator get over 60C (yes, that's really how hot mine has been getting recently - and most fungi cannot survive such temperatures).
The cacti are doing fine.
(Oh, forgot to say, the succulents are not in these conditions! :grin: )
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk