Rebutia heliosa

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Rebutia heliosa

Post by Eric Williams »

Having read Ralph Martin,s exellent write up on the above plant, of variations, and names etc, I decided to check the label on this plant, which was seed grown. Lo and behold, no field number but a catalogue number of Steven Brack. Is it possible to gain any info from this number if I dig deep enough. Here is a picture of the plant taken today, in a 4,
IMG_3196.JPG
IMG_3196.JPG (84.95 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
1/2 inch pot. Cheers
pleun
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Rebutia heliosa

Post by pleun »

That is really a huge one. I had one of the same size but unfortenately it died last year.......
KarlR
BCSS Member

Post by KarlR »

Should be possible if Brack is still using the same catalogue nr. If not, you could always email him and ask if he has it on record.

His catalogue is available online at www.mesagarden.com.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Thanks Pleun for your kind words. Karl I had thought of that,but at this time of year I expect SB to be very busy with seeds, plants etc. I think I will leave the emails until a quieter time of the year for him. Thanks for the suggestion. Cheers
KarlR
BCSS Member

Post by KarlR »

Eric Williams wrote:Thanks Pleun for your kind words. Karl I had thought of that,but at this time of year I expect SB to be very busy with seeds, plants etc. I think I will leave the emails until a quieter time of the year for him. Thanks for the suggestion. Cheers
Yeah, probably best to wait if you want to email him.

Terrific plant by the way. It really is a lovely species.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

What's the catalogue number? If it's no longer listed in the catalogue online it may be in my early 1990s catalogue.
Phil
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

thanks Karl, yes I am getting more interested in these plants, together with Sulcos. Aylosteras, Weingartias etc, for various reasons. Apparently they are all lumped together now in Rebutia. Not sure if I like this idea, but I will not be changing any labels to suit just yet. LoL Cheers
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi Phil, Info on label-SB1196-69 and seed sowed around the year 2000 if that,s of any help. I do not know how big this plant will get, as I am limited for room after re potting. Also it should have more heads but I give lots away after people saw the show of flowers you get . LoL cheers
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

This is why its so popular Phil.( but you knew that) LoL
heliosa 1.JPG
heliosa 1.JPG (55.14 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
One of my favorites.
Astro
Registered Guest

Post by Astro »

1196.69 is not listed in the catalogue that's currently online, but I happen to have ordered this exact number (as a small plant) from MG a few years ago.

I took a look in my records and the description from the catalogue is not very helpful:

1196.69 $3.00 1 Rebutia heliosa tight silver grey spines

Maybe Steven has more extensive records of his own.