For ID please

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
picnic
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

For ID please

Post by picnic »

I'm guessing it's a Mammillaria... but there are so many!! It has fearsome spikes and it looks as if one has already drawn blood :lol:
20160525_195427.jpg
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: For ID please

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

I think you will find it is a very young Echinocactus grusonii, or if you like the new name Kroenleinia grusonii but I think it will be a while before that name is taken on.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
picnic
Registered Guest

Post by picnic »

Thank you Ray. It certainly looks like some of the specimens shown here: http://www.cactofili.org/specie.asp?mod ... p=grusonii - I'm guessing the ones that it looks very little like are the mature forms then.

Many thanks

Paul
Greenlarry
Registered Guest

Post by Greenlarry »

E.grusonii. I repotted mine today,about this size. I got a spike in my finger!
You can take the boy out of the greenhouse, but you can't take the greenhouse out of the boy!
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

As a young plant E. grusonii is tuberculate like a Mammillaria, but as the plant gains size and ages the tubercles coalesce into the typical ribs of mature plants.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.