Aloe polyphylla pollenation

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tony R
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Aloe polyphylla pollenation

Post by Tony R »

Ambrose wrote: Tried to upload pic, but that function not working?
It is working - please try to reduce the size of your photo. Tony
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Ambrose
Registered Guest
Branch: SOUTHAMPTON

Post by Ambrose »

When I click on the Img icon, it just puts (img) in text - does not open a box for me to select a picture from?
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

IMG works if you're using a photo hosted elsewhere that you have a link for. What you need to do is add it as an attachment - see viewtopic.php?f=47&t=165491
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Ambrose
Registered Guest

Post by Ambrose »

i am desperate to learn how i can pollinate, or if anyone can advise, i would love to get seeds and grow on[/quote]

First you need two plants in flower at the same time, take a small soft brush and go back and forth, plant to plant.
Flower on one to a flower on the other, do this daily. Worked for me.
David_K
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Secretary

Post by David_K »

Disappointingly my plant is not flowering this year though it is still very healthy and growing well.
I like the look of your plants. Do you keep them under cover all year, mine lives out of doors although under an open porch.
I do have 20 seedlings sown this year coming on, still small but they always grow fast.
David Kirkbright
Society Treasurer & Trustee,
Northants and MK Branch
Long time grower (not always well) of almost anything.
Visitors welcome but check first.
agavemad
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by agavemad »

Very nice plants
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Post by FaeLLe »

Aloe polyphyllia is supposed to be hardy according to what I heard; can anyone attest to this and if they need winter protection? I have a couple of seedlings going, how safe should they be before I consider plonking it in my garden bed?
Ambrose
Registered Guest

Post by Ambrose »

Mine over winter in a leanto greenhouse that is missing the wall it was meant to lean against. Spanning the area between a shed and another greenhouse, people call it a bus stop. They are kept moist not wet and survived -8C, They are put out in the open when danger of frost is passed, but the flowering plants were left under cover this year so that rain would not hinder my pollenation attempts.
I have lost plants left totally exposed over winter, I have also lost plants left in a greenhouse during the summer.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Don't forget that their home at around 3000m in the Drakensberg is in the summer rainfall part of South Africa. Therefore although they experience cold winters, they are dry at that time. So overhead protection of some sort would be advisable.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Terry S. wrote:Don't forget that their home at around 3000m in the Drakensberg is in the summer rainfall part of South Africa. Therefore although they experience cold winters, they are dry at that time. So overhead protection of some sort would be advisable.
I thought you all might like to see a picture of them in habitat, here near Semonkong in Lesotho (Photo, courtesy of Sean Gildenhuys - thanks!)
polyph.jpg
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)