Aloe polyphylla pollenation

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ambrose
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTHAMPTON

Aloe polyphylla pollenation

Post by Ambrose »

Hi Everybody,
I have several Spiral Aloes but only one is flowering this year.
As they are not self fertile I am seeking a "mate" for the plant, not for me.
Maybe there is someone with a similar stage flowering plant a local bus ride from Southampton?
How long is pollen viable for?
Is freezing pollen an option?
Would postal pollenation be an option?
Attachments
polyphylla buds june 2016.jpg
Polypylla group june 2016.jpg
spinesandrosettes
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Aloe polyphylla pollenation

Post by spinesandrosettes »

Although I can't assist with your specific questions, this link provides informative discussion of related areas of interest such as hybrid vigor, germination rates, etc. in specific regard to A. polyphylla. Although I am years off yet from having blooming A. polyphylla, let alone multiple flowering specimens concurrently, I have acquired a small set of unrelated plants including plants grown from seed (different sources for seed) with the aim towards eventually producing viable seed. It is my impression that not only does the plant not self-pollinate, but viable seed is more likely achieved by crossing plants from not closely related populations (such as progeny from the same seed batch), hopefully improving seed vigor considerations discussed in that article.

http://www.ecotree.net/fall_2013.shtml
David_K
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Secretary

Post by David_K »

Hi Ambrose,

My plant is currently about to flower but unfortunately I am in Milton Keynes, about 100 miles from you.
IMGP8796_resize.JPG
IMGP8796_resize.JPG (121.02 KiB) Viewed 3184 times
I did previously flower a plant (which I subsequently lost in the hard winter of 2010) and that time it set seed while being the only one around. As I keep it out of doors all year round there are plenty of pollinators so I can only assume some non Aloe pollen triggered the seed production. I have no experience of storing pollen or of how long it would last if posted.
As it is a branched inflorescence it would be possible if they open at the same time for us both to remove one bunch of flowers and try posting it to each other within plastic bags.
David Kirkbright
Society Treasurer & Trustee,
Northants and MK Branch
Long time grower (not always well) of almost anything.
Visitors welcome but check first.
Ambrose
Registered Guest

Post by Ambrose »

David_K wrote:Hi Ambrose,

My plant is currently about to flower but unfortunately I am in Milton Keynes, about 100 miles from you.
IMGP8796_resize.JPG
I did previously flower a plant (which I subsequently lost in the hard winter of 2010) and that time it set seed while being the only one around. As I keep it out of doors all year round there are plenty of pollinators so I can only assume some non Aloe pollen triggered the seed production. I have no experience of storing pollen or of how long it would last if posted.
As it is a branched inflorescence it would be possible if they open at the same time for us both to remove one bunch of flowers and try posting it to each other within plastic bags.
If they both flower together, more than happy to exchange a branch of flowers.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Ali Baba »

A plastic bag full of flowers will probably cause the pollen grains to stick together and rot even in a couple of days in the post. Better to remove some anthers when they dehisce, and put in an airtight jar with some drying agent (eg silica gel), and dry overnight in the fridge. The dry pollen will then survive for a few days in the post. I've used this method to successfully hybridise bromeliads in the past.
looselad
Branch: OXFORD

Post by looselad »

Interesting ideas here for getting over the problem.

I have a few younger plants - 1-2 years from flowering I expect. I had a problem a while back with a slug which took out the central growth of a couple of plants - effectively killing the plants I thought, but no! The affected plants grew 2-3 new growing points. Slugs as a useful propagation technique?

n.b. Given the inability of A polyphylla to self pollinate it will be worth tracking the origin plant of any plants cloned in this way if any owner or future owner wants to pollinate and collect seed.

Jon
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

I agree with Ali Baba
Sending complete flowers in the post is not an option due to nectaries and succulence of tepals.

Better to send cotton wool buds covered in pollen or ripe stamens wrapped in a wax paper type envelope.
That should keep the pollen viable during postage and may even keep for up to a week, depending on conditions.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

As both plants about to flower are growing in pots, why not meet somewhere in the middle? Thats half the distance! :lol:
You could keep your branches intact and potentially produce more seeds. If successful I am sure seed sales could compensate you for petrol usage, especially if you sold them on an auction site in packets of 10 :wink:
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
coraliam

Post by coraliam »

Ambrose wrote:Hi Everybody,
I have several Spiral Aloes but only one is flowering this year.
As they are not self fertile I am seeking a "mate" for the plant, not for me.
Maybe there is someone with a similar stage flowering plant a local bus ride from Southampton?
How long is pollen viable for?
Is freezing pollen an option?
Would postal pollenation be an option?
Hi I am a new member and joined specifically as i have a spiral aloe from seed i purchased, it has begun to flower and i am desperate to learn how i can pollinate, or if anyone can advise, i would love to get seeds and grow on
Ambrose
Registered Guest

Post by Ambrose »

One year on and I have three plants in flower at the same time.
Daily hand pollination successful,
Have about 100 seed pods maturing.
Tried to upload pic, but that function not working?
Attachments
aaaaa2017 aloex3in flower.jpg
Last edited by Ambrose on Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.