Pachypodium saundersii and flowers

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MartinDK
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Pachypodium saundersii and flowers

Post by MartinDK »

I grow mainly pachycaul and caudiciform plants from seeds myself. I have this 13 months old Pachypodium saundersii. Does this species require a long dry and cool rest to bloom?

Cheers,
Martin

And lined up with some adeniums:
purzo
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Pachypodium saundersii and flowers

Post by purzo »

Nice plants Martin.

I keep my P. saundersii in the house in a south facing windowsill. I about water once a week in the growing season and maybe once every other week in winter. I feed regularly with whatever house plant fertiliser I happen to have to hand at the time. Minimum temperature will be around 15C indoors, humidity is low due to heating. The plant had at least 5 separate periods of blooming last year and is just about to have the first for this year. So to answer your question, in my case at least, a long dry cool spell does not seem to be necessary.
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
cacti & other succulents, carnivorous plants
MartinDK
Registered Guest

Post by MartinDK »

Gary, thanks for the answer. I appreciate it.

As the summer draws to a close, I will put my pachy under LED light, cut down on the water and see what happens.

Cheers,
Martin
Greenlarry
Registered Guest

Post by Greenlarry »

Oh those are fantastic!
You can take the boy out of the greenhouse, but you can't take the greenhouse out of the boy!
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

MartinDK wrote:As the summer draws to a close
Already?
MartinDK
Registered Guest

Post by MartinDK »

Aiko wrote:
MartinDK wrote:As the summer draws to a close
Already?
Sorry, I meant "when". :wink:
MartinDK
Registered Guest

Post by MartinDK »

After spending its entire life under LEDs in the grow tent, I put my Pachypodium saundersii (the same one above) on a windowsill in late May. It did not like the sudden change in the growing conditions and started shedding leaves and finally decided to go dormant.

I almost forgot all about it. Maybe watering it once every other week. Now 4 months later - and almost leafless - the pachy has flower buds! So I moved it back into the tent.

Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Martin
Look lovely as usual, I find pachypodium not very floriferous ( for me).
I have been wondering if it's not enough light, need a repot or they do need a winter rest .
I'm hoping the new garden is sunnier than the last so maybe more flowers, I'd love to get a seed pod on a pachypodium.
have you ever tried to transfer pollen manually I got the pollen out but couldn't transfer it :wink: :lol: so gave up.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
purzo
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by purzo »

Looks good Martin. Mine flowers multiple times in a year and will again soon. It lives on a South facing windowsill but there is shade from a neighbours large tree and also poor ambient light in the room. I find that the flowers have a tendency to abort fairly easily if I don't water it regularly.
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
cacti & other succulents, carnivorous plants
Rich45s
BCSS Member
Branch: KlNGSTON-on- THAMES

Post by Rich45s »

Bumping this....apologies for such an old post but it’s ...

Mainly for beautiful pics of lovely plants and to ask...

When to repot a Pachypodium Saundersaii. I got one a year ago that’s now having big ‘taproot’ like roots poking out the bottom of an 11cm ‘regular’ upright terracotta pot. It seems to be doing very well. Caudex isn’t filling pot but lots of top growth and four ‘stalks’ growing large out of the caudex. Bought a larger diameter but still ‘half’ height terracotta pot ostensibly for this plant but can obviously be used elsewhere if not suitable for this one yet

Don’t want to cause it any troubles reporting too early but also aware that I’ve been forcing this by watering and feeding heavily and it seems to eat that treatment up. Gets markedly bigger or taller ‘stalks’ within days of watering so if I could repot and keep this ‘overgrowth’ growing I will. It’s my first pachy (I’ve since bought a much smaller other variety I forget name of now) and can see myself finding these as my next plants to have a binge on when I get more space.

PS - love the pots in the picture. Where do you purchase stamped terracotta? I’d love terracotta stamped with a bonsai style stamp

Thanks all
BCSS Member 52305