Mamm elongata and a Ferocactus?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Greenlarry
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Mamm elongata and a Ferocactus?

Post by Greenlarry »

A couple more cacti for fathers day... :mrgreen:

A large M.elongata
PicsArt_06-18-02.55.37.jpg
And a small Ferocactus?
Note how it's in a small pot which is inside a clay pot. Quite tricky to get out! Typical of Wikos' plants.
PicsArt_06-18-03.01.34.jpg
You can take the boy out of the greenhouse, but you can't take the greenhouse out of the boy!
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Mamm elongata and a Ferocactus?

Post by rodsmith »

Greenlarry wrote: Note how it's in a small pot which is inside a clay pot. Quite tricky to get out! Typical of Wikos' plants.
Yes, but you do get two pots for the price of one (or in your case two pots for no price at all)! The second plant does look like a Ferocactus.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

I'm not so sure that is a Ferocactus.
Cheshire, UK
Mal L
BCSS Member

Post by Mal L »

Doesn't look like a Ferocactus to me either - rather sharply defined ribs for a young Fero? What about Lobivia/Echinopsis????
Malcolm
Stockport, UK
Member of Macclesfield & East Cheshire BCSS Branch

Collection mainly of cacti, though interested in a much wider variety of plants than I can accommodate!
Greenlarry
Registered Guest

Post by Greenlarry »

Here's an overhead shot of it after a repot. It has some pale patches that look a little concerning.

And those clay pots are strange. They are recessed on the inside so as to fit the small plastic pot inside tight, and no hole in the bottom. But the area where the hole should be has very thin clay. Easy to pop out.
PicsArt_06-19-04.34.00.jpg
You can take the boy out of the greenhouse, but you can't take the greenhouse out of the boy!
Greenlarry
Registered Guest

Post by Greenlarry »

Mal L wrote:Doesn't look like a Ferocactus to me either - rather sharply defined ribs for a young Fero? What about Lobivia/Echinopsis????
Echinopsis,with thorns like a Fero?
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Greenlarry wrote:
Mal L wrote:Doesn't look like a Ferocactus to me either - rather sharply defined ribs for a young Fero? What about Lobivia/Echinopsis????
Certainly. Not that these spines are really characteristic of a Ferocactus. I don't know what it is, but I'm fairly sure it is South American.
Cheshire, UK
Greenlarry
Registered Guest

Post by Greenlarry »

iann wrote:
Greenlarry wrote:
Certainly. Not that these spines are really characteristic of a Ferocactus. I don't know what it is, but I'm fairly sure it is South American.
So what is characteristic of ferocactus? I see a ball cactus with gnarly spines that curl upwards and I think Fero
kenroy
Registered Guest

Post by kenroy »

Some of Wilco's plants are ok if you catch them soon after delivery before they are sat in the gloom in trays of water and you can identify them!
Roy, Lancaster, UK