Greenhouse cooling

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Liz M
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: Greenhouse cooling

Post by Liz M »

I took the glass out of the greenhouse-door, before I went on holiday, and replaced it with netting. It was during that hot spell and I was concerned with overheating and wildlife getting in the greenhouse. I left everything fully open that I could open and everything was fine when I got back. I have a single door, three louvres and four skylights in a 14 x 8 foot greenhouse.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
purzo
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by purzo »

ChrisR wrote:Sod's law Gary..........!
you're not wrong there Chris :evil:
Phil_SK wrote:That'll recover.
Wow! Do you think so Phil? Good job I didn't chuck it!

My latest fan is a Honeywell very similar to yours Dave. Hopefully that and the glass removal will stop any overheating, now I just need to buy a few hundred tea-cosies to keep my plants snug on any chilly nights :wink:
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
cacti & other succulents, carnivorous plants
agavedave
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by agavedave »

purzo,

just get the fan close to the louvre vent as possible, it should help suck the air in from outside.

When I mentioned the 42°C, it was near to 35°C outside so still managing to keep to less than 10°C over the incoming temp.

If your greenhouse has the groove in the glazing bars where a capping bar would normally screw in, it is easy to screw in a small stainless screw and washer, the shade netting can then be hooked on.

A row of tomatoes can also provide some shade!

Regards
Dave
Attachments
Stainless screw and washer
Stainless screw and washer
DSCF0129.JPG (93.34 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
DSCF0128.JPG
DSCF0127.JPG
purzo
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by purzo »

agavedave wrote:just get the fan close to the louvre vent as possible, it should help suck the air in from outside
Thanks for the pictures Dave I see what you mean about placing the fan near the vent, that makes sense, I'll look into that but I've got plenty of clutter to shift first.

My greenhouse is made of wood so I don't have bar capping but I do already have external roller blinds shading the sunny side and have recently bought some extra green shading like yours to hang under the roof.
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
cacti & other succulents, carnivorous plants