Three large/old cacti - need advice on placement

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ava
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Three large/old cacti - need advice on placement

Post by Ava »

Hello everyone :)

My father in law was given these cacti and we need help figuring out what to do with them. (Aren't they massive?! :D) Would also appreciate confirmation of the names.

This one is labelled 'Azureocereus hertingianus':

'Echeveria elegans' (well, that's obviously not right...):

'Lemaireocereus thurberi'

We're quite limited as to where to place them, due to the size - both height and the width/length of the pot they're in. I did tentatively suggest repotting them, but it was met with horror. Was thinking they might be a little more stable, plus, it can't be good for root development...

There is potentially space in front of our front room window, but my father in law thinks it doesn't get enough light (it's North facing). I do have a Crassula in there that seems quite happy, but he's probably right :/ My limited experience is all with seedlings, so I don't really know how much light these need - advice?

I also wondered whether any of them are suitable for growing outdoors, as there's a lot more room, but suspect not?

Thank you for any help!
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Three large/old cacti - need advice on placement

Post by iann »

North facing not good. They need some direct sun, as much as possible. Difficult to do with a tall plant indoors.
Cheshire, UK
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Your 'Echeveria elegans' must most likely be Cleistocactus strausii, or some other Cleistocactus.
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

They all look very neglected and unhappy. Were they mine I would cut them back to six inches and repot the stumps. Place them in a more suitable, brighter position to force new and better looking growth.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Greenlarry
Registered Guest

Post by Greenlarry »

Get a greenhouse!
You can take the boy out of the greenhouse, but you can't take the greenhouse out of the boy!
Ava
Registered Guest

Post by Ava »

Aiko -
Your 'Echeveria elegans' must most likely be Cleistocactus strausii, or some other Cleistocactus.
Thank you, that looks right. From what I've read that one can actually be kept outdoors, too, unless I'm misunderstanding.

ChrisR -
They all look very neglected and unhappy. Were they mine I would cut them back to six inches and repot the stumps. Place them in a more suitable, brighter position to force new and better looking growth.
I understand what you mean. They are definitely etiolated. I don't think my father in law would want to cut them back.
Am I right in thinking the patches on the bottoms are scarring though, not a disease or anything?
The position they're in is quite bright, but they can't stay there unfortunately, as the table is eventually being thrown out and the actual alcove of the window above the ledge isn't tall enough.

Greenlarry -
Get a greenhouse!
:) Alas, that's not an option...
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Ava wrote:
Thank you, that looks right. From what I've read that one can actually be kept outdoors, too, unless I'm misunderstanding.
I do that with mine in the warmer months of the year and let all the rain we get rain on it. Otherwise it seems the top dries out with mine. Apparantly it does not like too little water (at least with me). I don't know if UK rain is much more or less than mine up here. Probably does not differ a lot.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Aiko wrote:
Ava wrote:
I do that with mine in the warmer months of the year and let all the rain we get rain on it. Otherwise it seems the top dries out with mine. Apparantly it does not like too little water (at least with me). I don't know if UK rain is much more or less than mine up here. Probably does not differ a lot.
I've never kept my C. strausii outdoors but I can confirm that the stems will die back if the roots have too little water. Even in winter I water every 3 to 6 weeks.

I support the earlier suggestion about chopping the stems off to encourage fresh growth. Tall cacti can't usually be grown very successfully indoors.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

I think you will find that your Echeveria/Cleistocactus is actually an Espostoa lanata.

The plant in question appears to have a small branch which is shown in better detail and is actually quite wooly!
Perhaps extra weight to my suggestion is that it has been growing for years next to an azurocerus and has been quite successful. In my experience the ideal conditions required for Espostoa and azurocerus are quite compatible whereas those for Cleistocactus are very different, so I would expect that if the plant was a Cleisto one would succeed the other would fail. Cleistocactus is quite cold tolerant and could grow outside during the summer but not in the winter unless given very specially circumstances. Espostoa will rot and mark badly with cold. I think all your plants require winter warmth.

Regarding condition of the plants... Your Father in law has done very well to keep them so long but they are not at their best and as can be seen, as soon as the growing point is out of sunlight the plant will etiolate and eventually succumb. The guys are right about cutting the stems if you want to start again, but your Father-in- law has had them so long it would be a shame to mutilate them in that way as it sounds they are well liked.

The best place for these plants would be potted separately in a greenhouse or conservatory. Failing that, pot up separately and get the tall ones on the floor as close to a bright window as possible, as it is more important that the growing tip has good light rather than the base.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

BrianMc wrote:I think you will find that your Echeveria/Cleistocactus is actually an Espostoa lanata.
You could be right, Brian, but the growing point bears a strong resemblance to the growing point of my C. strausii. I don't have an Espostoa to compare it with however.
Cleistocactus strausii 22 March 2011.jpg
Cleistocactus strausii 17 March 2011.jpg
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.