Three large/old cacti - need advice on placement

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
BrianMc
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Three large/old cacti - need advice on placement

Post by BrianMc »

rodsmith wrote:
BrianMc wrote:I think you will find that your Echeveria/Cleistocactus is actually an Espostoa lanata.
You could be right, Brian, but the growing point bears a strong resemblance to the growing point of my C. strausii. I don't have an Espostoa to compare it with however.
Hi Rod,
Yes indeed, the growing tip of your Cleisto is wooly. However, another factor which adds weight to my suggestion is where the plant is branching. Cleistocacti usually branch at the base as with your plant, espescially if the plant has not been damaged. Espostoa can throw out branches at any level, but usually above ground level!
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

BrianMc wrote:
rodsmith wrote:
BrianMc wrote:I think you will find that your Echeveria/Cleistocactus is actually an Espostoa lanata.
You could be right, Brian, but the growing point bears a strong resemblance to the growing point of my C. strausii. I don't have an Espostoa to compare it with however.
Hi Rod,
Yes indeed, the growing tip of your Cleisto is wooly. However, another factor which adds weight to my suggestion is where the plant is branching. Cleistocacti usually branch at the base as with your plant, espescially if the plant has not been damaged. Espostoa can throw out branches at any level, but usually above ground level!
Good point, Brian. Thanks for pointing this out. I bow to your superior knowledge. :grin:
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Wilk
Registered Guest

Post by Wilk »

Too nice to mutilate IMHO, apart perhaps from removing branches from the big fella.
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by ChrisR »

Definitely a case of beauty is in the eye of the beholder....... :lol:
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Ava
Registered Guest

Post by Ava »

I'm repotting the three cacti in my original post (the left and right have grown) - does anyone have any suggestions on pot depth? Also, what kind of gloves do you use? :lol: