Astrophytum caput-medusae

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
gerald
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Astrophytum caput-medusae

Post by gerald »

Bought as a seedling 3 years ago it hasn't grown much, just a single extra stalk and the same 2" pot, but it flowered today for the first time, needless to say I'm thrilled :grin:
acm.jpg
acm.jpg (63.41 KiB) Viewed 2241 times
Pia
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Astrophytum caput-medusae

Post by Pia »

Wonderful flower! I just bought this plant and cannot even dream that it would flower some day.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Delightful, Gerald.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Usually flowers quite easily as a graft Pia, mine did within a year of a tubercle being grafted, but don't know if it does on own roots though. I think it's just a case of the flower bearing tubercle being large enough.
Pia
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Pia »

Thanks, Dave! I'm so skeptic regarding the flowers because I have had difficulties in providing a place for adequate winterrest. As I wrote elsewhere, I have two not-so-succesful attempts on a glazed terrace. Last winter I put two Echinopsis in a basement (no light and about +10 C) for 4 months. One of the cacti begun to produce a lot of babies, but neither one has flowered so far!
Lyn
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND

Post by Lyn »

Thats BEAUTIFUL Gerald :-) thanks so much for sharing :-)
Check out my Cacti and Succulent website, where I upload weekly blogs, photos, and videos :-)
http://www.desertplantsofavalon.com/
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I have had several attempts at growing this and found it very difficult. I now have a plant on its own roots that I have kept alive for about 12 months! Two tubercles flowered earlier this summer with single flowers as one would expect. However the third tubercle to reach flowering size this year has a split areole with two flower buds developing on it. Has anyone else observed this! Another thing that surprised me was that the earlier flowers did not open until the afternoon and then were finished after about a day. Very un-Astrophytum like behaviour.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi Terry, sorry I cannot help you, but your post is of interest to me as I have some seedlings of this species growing. Wonder if you could post a picture of your plant on its own roots.Thanks
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

Hi Terry, I haven't found it difficult to grow on its own roots. I have 2 older plants I grew from seed, but I did lose three of their fellow seedlings the first winter. A combination of keeping them too dry in their first winter and extreme susceptibility to thrips. My second generation seedlings did much better as I left them in the propagator for the first two winters and kept them watered. I haven't had any double flowers, but one of my original seedlings is much beefier than the other and produces larger flowers with a lot of petals, and bigger fruit. I'm wondering if it is a tetraploid. They are very odd plants indeed
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Yes weird plants since the flowers spring from an areole about quarter the way down the tubercle which suddenly appears, even though there is no visual trace of it before it does! However I did have one flower from the end of a tubercle, but that is unusual.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.