Opuntia flowers in a rockery

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Pia
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Opuntia flowers in a rockery

Post by Pia »

As I have shown under ´My collection in Finland´, Opuntia fragilis 'Füssen' is flowering outside in my rockery. After blooming, should I leave the flowers attached to the plant or remove them before they start producing fruits? I don't need the seeds, and I wonder if the plants would have better chance surviving next winter if they don't have to use energy for producing fruits. I also wonder if the plant would have more energy for growing if it don't need to produce fruits.
Fussen10x.jpg
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: Opuntia flowers in a rockery

Post by Liz M »

How beautiful. You have the right conditions for Opuntias it seems. Maybe if you took off the spent flowers your plant would grow more. As you don't need the seed, you may as well try this, just to find out.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

What gorgeous flowers!

I would also take them off once faded.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
anders
Registered Guest

Post by anders »

My Opuntia fragilis clones have never produced any fruits, I don't think they are self-compatible.
Pia
BCSS Member

Post by Pia »

There has been A LOT of different pollinators pollinating the flowers of those four plants. I don't know if they are clones.

You can see more pictures of them in ´My collection in Finland´ on pages 5 and 6. There I also tell about the extremely harsh conditions for plants in Finland last winter. Thus, it is a miracle that all four plants survived, especially since they seemed rottened and dead already in the autumn!
Lyn
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND

Post by Lyn »

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL Pia :-) Thanks so much for sharing :-)
Check out my Cacti and Succulent website, where I upload weekly blogs, photos, and videos :-)
http://www.desertplantsofavalon.com/