Help and tips needed(for Lithops).

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Jds
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Help and tips needed(for Lithops).

Post by Jds »

[/quote]
"Hey Jds" There are no posts from you awaiting in the 'Moderation Queue'? :?:[/quote]
Since you are saying so,it might be my mistake,ok,then I am posting it again. :grin:

Here humidity is very high,I think organic material might kill the plants since they store water.
Jds
Registered Guest

Post by Jds »

So that soil should be fine huh(since I already bought it) or I need to compulsorily buy pumice?
Is organic material added in soil bad in lithops in HIGH HUMIDITY?
Does organic material reduce or increase moisture?

I found this,should I add this to soil?:-
https://m.ebay.in/itm/Organic-Vermicomp ... 2336659810
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Jds wrote:So that soil should be fine huh(since I already bought it) or I need to compulsorily buy pumice?
Is organic material added in soil bad in lithops in HIGH HUMIDITY?
Does organic material reduce or increase moisture?
The soil should be ok but if it has no organic matter you should give occasional light fertiliser (see earlier post).
Organic matter will generally result in an increase in overall moisture content as it will absorb more moisture when you water the plant and retain it for longer than a purely mineral mix.
Organic matter of itself is not bad for lithops but in their natural habitat the substrate is mainly mineral, stones made up of quartz etc; so they will happily grow with a minimum of organic matter and are unhappy if the mixture has too much organic content.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Jds
Registered Guest

Post by Jds »

Thanks rodsmith.
Did you checked the link of the soil I bought(cactus and succulent mix not vermicompost)? :???:
Is it ok if I water every 15 days in that soil?
I am using this one for my Lithops,you might have read my climatic conditions.
http://www.plantaeparadise.com/store/#! ... y=19419834
rodsmith
BCSS Member

Post by rodsmith »

I wouldn't be too rigorous with your watering regime. Lithops won't grow in very hot weather and should not be watered at all in their dormant season (usually winter). As a rule of thumb, when it is the growing period, only give water when the plants begin to wrinkle at the sides. I find that some lithops species need less water than others. There is a bit of trial and error involved until you get some experience. I have only been growing lithops for four years.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Lithops aren't dormant in winter ;) That's when they grow a whole new set of leaves, mostly out of view until the last minute. They just need very little water in winter, essentially zero in a northern European climate. In sunnier climates they may well need some water through winter, and possibly very little in summer. You'll have to find out for yourself just how dormant your plants get in the heat. A safe approach in very hot conditions is to let them shrink down below soil level until it is cooler, but it isn't very appealing for cultivated plants.
Cheshire, UK
rodsmith
BCSS Member

Post by rodsmith »

iann wrote:Lithops aren't dormant in winter ;) That's when they grow a whole new set of leaves.
Point well made Ian. :oops:
Rod Smith

Jds
Registered Guest

Post by Jds »

Thank you all for input.