A kind of mite I've never seen before  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
KarlR
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

A kind of mite I've never seen before

Post by KarlR »

I wonder if any of you could help me figure out what kind of mite this is. It's dark brown, shiny, about 0,5 mm large (the mite appears much darker on the plant body than on the white paper as seen below). It moves fairly quickly. Much more quickly than the false spider mite, though it's no Usain Bolt. Whereas the false spider mite will move around somewhat slowly and reluctantly if prodded, this one will run around seemingly without any particular destination in mind.
DSC_4218_2.JPG
DSC_4218_2.JPG (93.28 KiB) Viewed 2680 times
DSC_4220_3.JPG
DSC_4220_3.JPG (103.81 KiB) Viewed 2680 times
Over the past couple of months I've seen it appear on some of my plants. Everything from an adult Ferocactus latispinus to a Lapidaria margaretae. I've never seen more than 5-10 on any plant at any time. I have not been able to tie the little critters to any obvious plant damage, though one mesemb which rotted did have more than usual on it. None of the plants I've seen the mites on have been attacked by spider mites (false or otherwise). The mites appear anywhere on the plant body.

I haven't been able to find anything looking quite like this on Google. I harbour a hope that it is a predatory mite, though it did not seem keen on attacking a false spider mite I graciously presented to one of them.
DSC_4221_2.JPG
DSC_4221_3.JPG
DSC_4221_3.JPG (79.72 KiB) Viewed 2680 times
Do any of you have any idea what this is?
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: A kind of mite I've never seen before

Post by iann »

Nice photos. I've seen these on a lot of plants over many years, but I don't know what they are.
Cheshire, UK
KarlR
BCSS Member

Post by KarlR »

iann wrote:Nice photos. I've seen these on a lot of plants over many years, but I don't know what they are.
Cheers. Have you ever associated them with any plant damage? I've grown cacti for about 25 years and never seen them before.
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

If it moves around at a reasonable speed, it is probably predatory. Looks like a tiny beetle to me, although I have no idea what it is.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
KarlR
BCSS Member

Post by KarlR »

Apicra wrote:If it moves around at a reasonable speed, it is probably predatory. Looks like a tiny beetle to me, although I have no idea what it is.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
Yes, it's no slouch, so I'm thinking that might indicate a predatory life style. I thought about beetles too, and it does sort of look like a predatory ladybug called Stethorus punctum picipes (aka spider mite destroyer). That ladybug is black though, and two or three times larger. Beetles also have six legs, whereas this guy has eight as far as I can make out on the photos (unless it's got two very large antennas, I suppose).
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

Is it a velvet mite? You usually see them on walls when it is hot. They are usually the lighter of the two red colours

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=153163&hilit=Velvet+mite
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Re: A kind of mite I've never seen before  Solved

Post by Ali Baba »

Its a type of mite that eats decaying plant matter , and is sometimes called a beetle mite, Oribatida. They don't harm plants at all.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Images of Oribata mites certainly look like the critters I've seen.
Cheshire, UK
KarlR
BCSS Member

Post by KarlR »

Ali Baba wrote:Its a type of mite that eats decaying plant matter , and is sometimes called a beetle mite, Oribatida. They don't harm plants at all.
That certainly looks very much like the mites I have. Feeding on decaying plant matter seems to fit the bill too since I haven't spotted any insects or other mites on the plants I've seen them run around on.

I'll call that settled then (tu)

Cheers to everyone who chipped in :smile:
N.D.
Registered Guest

Post by N.D. »

I have them in all my mesemb pots even though there is very little organic matter. Interestingly, they are completely resistant to miticides, as I learned when I sprayed for other mites. Nothing kills them.