Cat litter for compost mix.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
madpenguin
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: ISLE OF WIGHT
Role within the BCSS: Member

Cat litter for compost mix.

Post by madpenguin »

I am trying to get hold of some cat litter to make up a soil mix.
The first one I used (Morrisons Super Absorbent Cat Litter) turned out to be aerated concrete granules which could make the mix to alkaline for succulents.It made a nice addition to the mix keeping it open as the pieces are largish.
The second I used was from Pets at Home,non clumping clay cat litter.This seemed a bit small and powdery and I suspect could break down easily.
I know Tesco is supposed to have a good one but they are too far away.I have Morrisons,Co-op,Sainsburys or Pets at Home to choose from.
There are so many different kinds of litter,some are fragranced,would they be OK?
I do wish the manufacturers would state on the bags what the litter is made of!!!
I could use Akadama which I can get online but is pricey.
Does anyone have a favourite which is readily available to me?
“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.”
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Cat litter for compost mix.

Post by Phil_SK »

The tesco one is http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/ ... =265235247
Of the places you list, only pets at home has anything similar (the particles are slightly larger) and it's this one http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/ ... cat-litter
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
madpenguin
Registered Guest

Post by madpenguin »

Thanks,I have just been up to Pets at Home and didn't see that one there,maybe out of stock just now?
I know what to look for now!
madpenguin
Registered Guest

Post by madpenguin »

Just had a look on Amazon and I can get it on there and have ordered some!
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

We got the idea of using cat litter from the Bonsai growers and this site of theirs lists the suitable ones their members from around the world have found. Also note Tesco changed their bag design again:-

http://www.bonsai4me.co.uk/Basics/Basicscatlitter.htm

I think Tesco used to stock a few different types in ascending prices, ranging from the cheap shredded paper, the white mushy clay type (Fullers Earth), to their premium red clay type, therefore you need to make sure you get the correct bag since all cat litters are not created equal.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
madpenguin
Registered Guest

Post by madpenguin »

I am also a bonsai grower and belong to our local group.Some members have used Akadama for their trees but I have never heard of cat litter as a substitute before I got into succulents.
Now have something to tell them at the next meeting!!

I am also ging to combine my 2 interests and try growing some succulents as bonsai and others as accent plants.