Cacti Rescue advice for newbie

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
rodsmith
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Cacti Rescue advice for newbie

Post by rodsmith »

They're all looking good, Leandra.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Leandra
BCSS Member
Branch: KING'S LYNN

Post by Leandra »

Thankyou very much Rodsmith. They are due for their first watering in their new pots at the end of the week.

Here are the other three in my collection. The little white-spiked one was the first of this bunch that I got. I think it needs potting on too as I didn't know to do that at the time. I have to let his soil dry out first. Actually, I think they all might as although I repotted the other two, I didn't actually take them out of the peat they came in.

I still don't know what types they are...apart from the mammilaria elongata and the notocactus leninghausii but they're wonderful, nonetheless! I suspect the big one is just a weapon of mass destruction!!! :lol:
Attachments
012.JPG
012.JPG (63.72 KiB) Viewed 2432 times
010.JPG
010.JPG (62.65 KiB) Viewed 2432 times
009.JPG
009.JPG (158.67 KiB) Viewed 2432 times
AndrewG
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by AndrewG »

Leandra wrote:Thankyou very much Rodsmith. They are due for their first watering in their new pots at the end of the week.

Here are the other three in my collection. The little white-spiked one was the first of this bunch that I got. I think it needs potting on too as I didn't know to do that at the time. I have to let his soil dry out first. Actually, I think they all might as although I repotted the other two, I didn't actually take them out of the peat they came in.

I still don't know what types they are...apart from the mammilaria elongata and the notocactus leninghausii but they're wonderful, nonetheless! I suspect the big one is just a weapon of mass destruction!!! :lol:
Second one is Mammillaria karwinskiana ssp. nejapensis and the third one is a very young Echinocactus grusonii.

They're looking healthy and well care for (tu)

Also in your first post if looks like Mammillaria haageana on the far left, possibly ssp elegans
Leandra
BCSS Member

Post by Leandra »

Brilliant AndrewG, thankyou! Now just to get my tongue around those somewhat complex names!

This really is exciting finally discovering what they are called and I think they will be pleased too! It is very intriguing to discover the bewildering array of types and just how similar to each other many are. It's a whole new world!
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

Leandra wrote:It's a whole new world!
20113.jpg
20113.jpg (18.59 KiB) Viewed 2378 times
picnic
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by picnic »

Bit late to the party but I think your image 009.jpg is Echinocactus Grusonii:

http://www.cactofili.org/specie.asp?mod ... p=grusonii
Leandra
BCSS Member

Post by Leandra »

Thankyou habanerocat and picnic!

I haven't forgotten you guys, just been very busy lately.

I now have two new acquisitions, one of which was a 10p rescue from Wilkos! Poor thing- a columnar- has three columns, one which looks healthy, one that is half rotted and split and one with a tiny bit of rot on. This one will need to be extracted from his peat pot today or tomorrow.

Anyway, I will post photos later...

Leandra
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Keith H »

Leandra wrote:Thankyou habanerocat and picnic!

I haven't forgotten you guys, just been very busy lately.

I now have two new acquisitions, one of which was a 10p rescue from Wilkos! Poor thing- a columnar- has three columns, one which looks healthy, one that is half rotted and split and one with a tiny bit of rot on. This one will need to be extracted from his peat pot today or tomorrow.

Anyway, I will post photos later...

Leandra
Have you un potted the columnar plant (s)? You often find that they pot several small plants together to make a multi headed plant so you may well have one good plant and two in need of apecial care, still good value at 10p.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
Leandra
BCSS Member

Post by Leandra »

Hi Keith and All~

Here are some photos (actually attached in reverse order!) of the columnar cactus. I have taken him out of his peat binding and am letting him recover for a few days. The pot was wrapped in polythene so it had condensation on whilst the peat itself was obviously damp in some parts.

As you can see, one column was mushy on top and I have chopped the worst of it out. But it may all have to come out, I don't know. A second column has a little black patch on. The third column seems health and doesn't seem to have suffered. There were a couple of flies on the soil, which are now gone.

However, I am pleased to say the roots actually seem healthy.

The plant appears to be one so I don't know how to extricate the damaged column without hurting it. I am also not sure whether I should keep it with the column with the dark bit on or not.

I am not so much concerned about its appearance as just saving its life. If that means having wonky columns, so be it! :eek:

What would anyone advise me to do please?

Many thanks

Leandra
Attachments
027.JPG
027.JPG (54.88 KiB) Viewed 2298 times
026.JPG
026.JPG (67.72 KiB) Viewed 2298 times
025.JPG
025.JPG (55.2 KiB) Viewed 2298 times
024.JPG
024.JPG (66.45 KiB) Viewed 2298 times
023.JPG
023.JPG (51.78 KiB) Viewed 2298 times
022.JPG
022.JPG (47.61 KiB) Viewed 2298 times
021.JPG
021.JPG (41.54 KiB) Viewed 2298 times
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

They do appear to be three separate plants. I think you should carefully disentangle the roots and put the three plants in a warm, dry, well ventilated place for a few days (say a week). The damp areas should have dried by then and the plant you cut should have calloused. You will then be able to check for any other soft areas and you can then pot up the plants that are ok. Good luck. Keep us informed of progress. Isn't it exciting!
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.